Recommendations for my first wired cans for relaxing music listening
Dec 26, 2020 at 5:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

infamousSound

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone! I have been watching videos and reading articles on wired headphones for the past couple of weeks and I still can’t come up with a decision.
I am looking for some wired over the ear headphones that I can throw on after I come home from work and relax for maybe an hour or two. I will be listening in my master bedroom where it is quiet and I have my recliner. My sources will be a old pioneer pl 514 turntable and my Sonos connect that I have running through a Schiit modi 2 Uber for streaming tidal. I currently have a Schiit magni heresy I received for Christmas that I will use to power the headphones. I have a $200 budget for the headphones themselves.

I listen to pretty much anything depending on how I am feeling. It could be rock and roll, salsa, rap, jazz, or blues. I would like some good comfortable all rounders that are not super bass heavy, and do not have super sharp fatiguing highs. I will not be doing any monitoring with these. They are strictly for relaxing.
I hope I gave enough info for some recommendations if not please just ask me here.
Thanks in advance!

Dec 26, 2020 at 10:44 PM Post #2 of 9
My under $200 recommendation go to is the Philips Fidellio X2HR. ~$150, sometimes dropping to $100. Alternately, for something more neutral, Massdrop x Sennheiser HD6XX. If you're willing to buy used, the Audio Technica ATH-R70X would be within budget or just above, and beat out both (in my opinion) as all-rounders.

Dec 27, 2020 at 3:30 AM Post #3 of 9
Do you have the opportunity to test headphones in a store?
The selection is large and the sound differences in the price range are huge. ... do you want more space in the sound or bass?

Lots of questions to get a great experience :wink:

Dec 27, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #4 of 9
Do you have the opportunity to test headphones in a store?
The selection is large and the sound differences in the price range are huge. ... do you want more space in the sound or bass?

Lots of questions to get a great experience :wink:
The only place around me really is Best Buy. They did not have a big selection of corded stuff. The ones I did try that they had was the Sony MDR1AM2, V-Moda Crossfade M100, Sennheiser HD660s, and a couple of Bowers. But almost everything else they have out are wireless sets. I liked the sound of the Sony’s and the Sennheiser the VModa was ok. I didn’t really have enough time to go through everything I listen to so that I could get a good feel for them though. I did start reading up on the Philips fidelios and they seem to have everything I am looking for. But the more I read and watch videos the more it’s sounding like I may end up buying atleast another pair of something down the road to really cover all my bases.

Dec 27, 2020 at 11:39 PM Post #5 of 9
It was going for $200 for a while there....if you can get the Fidelio X3 for that price it is absolutely fantastic. I have the X2, and it is really good, but the X3 is just stellar, a great all around headphone.

Dec 29, 2020 at 9:56 AM Post #6 of 9
Just make sure you get open back headphone for more natural sound and less fatigue for your ears. I'm long listen guy so close back won't do for me. Take a look my avatar :wink: yeah I did it.

Dec 29, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #7 of 9
if you have the heresy my vote goes to the 6xx, or maybe the 58x if you really liked the 660s because i hear they have a similar sound. But the 6xx i can speak from experience is a very nice headphone for what you seem to be looking for and if you ever got a better amp the 6xx would sound better with it (i.e. it scales well), and can be used with tube amps. 58x and the other 150 ohm senns dont scale as well but easiet to drive with “lesser” amps

Phillips seem dope too, but i think the decision might come down to head size. If you have a bigger head go phillips, smaller go sennheiser 6xx/58x.

anyone second this? I heard phillips can be loose on head if you have smaller head

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back