Recommendations for my first pair
Mar 30, 2009 at 11:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

MOMOTRON

New Head-Fier
I think I've thoroughly confused myself. I've gone all over the board tonight in search of a good, cheap pair of headphones. Reading review after review.. now I think I've just confused myself.

What I'm looking for is:
- Overall good balance, but leaning towards quality in the lower-end bass. I'm mainly listening to hip hop, so I really need full, deep bass.
- COMFORT. I absolutely need comfortable, over the ear headphones. I have sensitive ears and it drives me nuts to have something squeezing my head or pushing my ears against my head.
- Price range of max $100. I'm on a budget here.

So tonight I've considered:
Sennheiser HD-202 -> Sennheiser HD-205 -> Audio-Technica ATH-D40FS -> AKG-K81DJ -> Sony MDR V6

I think I just jumped in too quick and now my brain is overloaded. I was really keen on the D40FS's but I don't think I've seen a good review on this forum.

EDIT: I am in NO WAY an audiophile, nor do I intend to become one. These will be used just at my computer or through my Zune. I do produce a little bit, but that's not the main use for them.

Mar 30, 2009 at 11:49 AM Post #2 of 12
FWIR: Denon d1001 has good sound and comfort and should be findable within your price range. Gets a lot of recommendations on this forum.

Maybe an open Sennheiser? HD555 has a nice full sound and is very comfortable too.
Prefered these to the lower en closed headphones because they give a more detailed sound.

Mar 30, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #5 of 12
The ATH-A700 were a great way to start for myself. They were my first pair of audiophile cans, and Im pretty pleased with them. And they are around your price range. Im just a basshead as im finding out, so Im looking for something with more bass. (Ordered the DT770 Pro)

Mar 30, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #6 of 12
JVC seems to have a good entry level headphone with the RX700 and the AudioTechnica ES7 fits sound requirements (but little over budget and not that comfortable)
maybe a used Beyer DT770? look around the FS forums.

^ isn't the A(D)700 a bit light on bass?

Mar 30, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by MOMOTRON /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I'm going to go with the D1001s, unless someone can give me a good reason not to/a better suggestion!

EDIT: I found them for $81, shipping included.

think you'll be very happy with them.

Mar 30, 2009 at 10:24 PM Post #10 of 12
probably a little late, but if Comfort is a primary concern, avoid the K81dj like the plague. I love them, but my head is made of metal. Puny humans find them intolerable, more often than not.

Mar 30, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
probably a little late, but if Comfort is a primary concern, avoid the K81dj like the plague. I love them, but my head is made of metal. Puny humans find them intolerable, more often than not.

Yeah that's the reason I didn't go for them. They don't look too nice and all the reviews I read said that they're like a vice grip around your head. No thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back