Recommendations for mid level/step up closed back
May 30, 2021 at 7:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

audiophizile

Head-Fier
Hello!

I am looking at a potential upgrade. I have had the akg k7xx, k553, senn hd598cs, takstar 82 pro, and the hm5. Looking anywhere from $200-600, if used no more than 400.

I had the k553 and k7xx side by side and with a pad mod liked the 553 more than the k7xx. The 553 headband is not comfortable at all imo and though ugly I clipped my old hd280 pad around it to increase plushness. This was my go to until it started breaking in multiple ways. I am currently using a takstar 82 pro and for the money it honestly is pretty amazing. It does seem to have some odd distortion at even moderately loud volumes that can be annoying and the soundstage is well not really there. It seems coherent and quick otherwise which I enjoy. The k553 has the biggest not super artificial soundstage I've heard in closed headphone personally. It seems slightly laid back in comparison to the 82pro but had a bit more body in the lower mids. They sound very different from one another but both sound "good" to me. I enjoyed both a lot compared to any others I have had.

I would prefer a soundstage closer to the k553, speed and clarity. Most things in my previous budgets that sounded remotely "warm" seem to always be very muddy so I have always avoided that signature but am open to it if it can actually separate instruments in complex passages.

Looking at options in my price range I really don't see a lot that people agree on as being good. I do know sound subjective. The main things out there I see are the emu teak and/or fostex ebony. People seem pretty love hate with dca stuff and that's getting outside of my intended price point.

Any suggestions, preferably experiences, with closed cans in this price range let me know. Thanks in advance.

May 30, 2021 at 9:02 PM Post #3 of 9
It’s been awhile since I’ve heard the EMU Teaks and all I can say is I remember liking them quite a bit. Really can’t remember if I’ve heard the Ebony’s or no but do own the TR-X00 Mahogany’s . They are definitely my fun headphone as they do bring the bass and very easy to drive.

May 30, 2021 at 9:37 PM Post #4 of 9
If you are willing to go just above your budget for a used model, this ex-$1.5k-msrp model has an extremely expansive soundstage, especially for a closed-back, just need a XLR-to-6.35mm adapter as well:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3339393666...and=MrSpeakers&_trksid=p2563228.c101111.m2109

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124099155231?hash=item1ce4e2d51f:g:NRcAAOSwE5hdfk7x
Yes a very good soundstage for a closed back and I own them as I got them pre order when they came out after hearing the prototype and just love the mids and highs on them and while they do have a nice low bass rumble they don’t have the mid and upper for impact.

May 30, 2021 at 10:29 PM Post #5 of 9
Yes a very good soundstage for a closed back and I own them as I got them pre order when they came out after hearing the prototype and just love the mids and highs on them and while they do have a nice low bass rumble they don’t have the mid and upper for impact.

I'm far from a bass head. Most things with an eq I end up lowering the bottom end a bit but I do like it to be dynamic.

Jun 6, 2021 at 7:58 PM Post #6 of 9
I know the ether c is a technical step up but does anyone know where to try to get a used alpha dog or how much they go for? I'd assume less than the ethers and would like to hear them.

Jun 6, 2021 at 8:31 PM Post #7 of 9
I know the ether c is a technical step up but does anyone know where to try to get a used alpha dog or how much they go for? I'd assume less than the ethers and would like to hear them.

The MrSpeakers Alpha Prime was discontinued a while back and are now rare, going for $500 or more. However, the Alpha Primes are just T50RPs with 3D printed components and tuning fabric, and the Ether C were built to go beyond the T50RP physical limitations, allowing planar-magnetic drivers to possess a very wide soundstage and very clear instrument separation in a closed-back form.

Jun 7, 2021 at 6:17 PM Post #8 of 9
Looks like a a pair sold here in February and another in March one was $280 and the other $180 as listing price what they sold for don’t know. I sold mine like 5 or 6 years ago sometimes I do miss them as they have more of a fun sound than the Primes or Ether-C’s.

Jun 7, 2021 at 7:26 PM Post #9 of 9
Focal Elegia. Should be able to find a pair for $4-500, likely used (they are discontinued, though it looks like there's still some new old stock floating around). Nothing short of the Ether C is going to touch them at that price point, and they should be much easier to find.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back