Recommendations for listening and mixing
Oct 22, 2007 at 4:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

anoesis

New Head-Fier
Hello, I have been reading the forums for a couple of days now. really want to get a pair of phones. I am going to be using it to listen to music mostly rock and metal and maybe a little hip hop. But I also will be using them to mix/master music, about equal amount of rock and rap/hip hop. My budget is around 260 and wont require an amp to make it sound its best but can still benefit from an amp if i get one in the future or if i get alot of money for my birthday then ill get one. I have been looking at the beyerdynamic DT 880 but im open for any recommendations?

Oct 22, 2007 at 8:48 PM Post #2 of 2
Sennheiser 25-1 II is a mega handy phone and is used on television all the time when commentators etc. need a good sounding headphone that isn't obvious. It's regarded as extremely durable and very portable.

I've read a couple of reviews and fancy buying a pair myself, but apparently they arn't the best with piano sounds. They sound like they'd be great for rock though and come with a split headband that's useful if you are move around a lot while mixing.

Senn HD 280s, Beyer DT100s, AKG 240 & 271 are commonly used in studios and other professional applications.

... Apart from Counter-Terrortist organisations. Jack Bauer uses Bose headphones.

Seriously though, if you are mixing you might as well get a decent pair of Studio quality monitors like the KRK Rokit RP-8/5. No-one seriously mixes on headphones as you can't really detect out of phase signals as well and the listening enviroment is totally different to what you should design it for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back