Recommendations for IEMs and portable headphones
Mar 1, 2016 at 10:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

xineis

New Head-Fier
Hello to everyone!

I am looking for IEMs or portable headphones for when I am out. The first question that came to mind would the be the overall sound quality per price that can be achieved on IEMs and on portable (supra-aural) headphones. At home I use a Sennheiser HD 598 and I have a pair of Edifier speakers.

The music genres I usually listen to are mainly classical and jazz. I am by no means a basshead nor I require absolute clinical sound.

As I already did some research, I think I narrowed down the candidates to what I can pay and what seems I would enjoy. The prices I found are in Swiss Francs.

IEMs: Etymotic Reasearch HF5 (129 CHF), RHA MA750 (85 CHF), Shure SE215 (109-118 CHF) and Sennheiser IE60 (139 CHF).

Portable headphones: Sennheiser HD 25-C or I, what's the difference? (198 CHF), Beyerdynamics T51p (219 CHF), Philips Fidelio M1MKII (171 CHF).

As you all can see, the headphones cost a whole lot more than the IEMs. I am willing to spend more if they are that much better, but I would prefer to have something more portable.

I read very good things about the RHA MA750 and it is pretty cheaper than the others. I know, however, that the ER HF5 have the better isolation.

I am very open to suggestions.

Thank you!

Mar 1, 2016 at 10:11 PM Post #2 of 13
"The music genres I usually listen to are mainly classical and jazz. I am by no means a basshead nor I require absolute clinical sound."

My music preferences are similar. Here's the info that I can offer:

IEMs:
My first IEMs were the Etymotic ER4S. That was over 10 years ago when there wasn't much else to choose. The BA driver has it's advantages. Problem with the single BA driver in your price range is the bass delivery. I'm not a basshead either, but in the concert hall, or listening to a recording, if the bass isn't there, you're missing a critical part of the performance.
Recommendation would be to focus on single dynamic drivers, like the RHA 750s, or hybrids (1 BA plus 1 dynamic driver.). Had an interest in the the 750s when released but then decided against them for a number of small reasons.
Another one to consider is the Dunu Titan 5, ~$135. The Titan 1 was a big success, considered those but never bought them because of reviews indicating bass was a little light and mids were a bit recessed. So now the Titan 5 is out and those two problem areas have been addressed. So... I will most likely add those to my overstuffed IEM box :) Hopefully they will spend more time out of the box than in it. Anyway, check the linked review. The reviewer is detailed and reliable.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/dunu-titan-5/reviews/14628

Not much experience with supra-aurals (only Grados), so can't help there.

Mar 1, 2016 at 11:09 PM Post #3 of 13
  "The music genres I usually listen to are mainly classical and jazz. I am by no means a basshead nor I require absolute clinical sound."

My music preferences are similar. Here's the info that I can offer:

IEMs:
My first IEMs were the Etymotic ER4S. That was over 10 years ago when there wasn't much else to choose. The BA driver has it's advantages. Problem with the single BA driver in your price range is the bass delivery. I'm not a basshead either, but in the concert hall, or listening to a recording, if the bass isn't there, you're missing a critical part of the performance.
Recommendation would be to focus on single dynamic drivers, like the RHA 750s, or hybrids (1 BA plus 1 dynamic driver.). Had an interest in the the 750s when released but then decided against them for a number of small reasons.
Another one to consider is the Dunu Titan 5, ~$135. The Titan 1 was a big success, considered those but never bought them because of reviews indicating bass was a little light and mids were a bit recessed. So now the Titan 5 is out and those two problem areas have been addressed. So... I will most likely add those to my overstuffed IEM box :) Hopefully they will spend more time out of the box than in it. Anyway, check the linked review. The reviewer is detailed and reliable.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/dunu-titan-5/reviews/14628

Not much experience with supra-aurals (only Grados), so can't help there.

Thank you for the response, rnros!

Well, the Titan 5 looks interesting, as does the DN-1000 (hybrid as you recommended). They appear to be quite difficult to find here in Switzerland, though.

If I may ask, what did you find wrong against the RHA 750s?

Mar 2, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #4 of 13
How much are you willing to spend on IEMs because IEMs tend to improve quite well with the price until a certain point. Under 100,100~200,200~300,300+ are price ranges that mainly differ in quality. According to your genre, it may require detail and for me, vshaped isn't the way to go with DN1000 for jazz and classical. Having had it for more than a year, bass is slightly too much and recessed mids are not something I like anymore. I recommend somewhat neutral or warm IEMs.

Mar 2, 2016 at 12:24 AM Post #5 of 13
I would think that penonaudio.com and lendmeurears.com deliver to Switzerland. Both good company that treat their customers well.

The 750s... I still want to hear them actually.
Well, I imagine you heard all the good things as I did, so enough reason to be very interested.

The negatives for me were:
Didn't see a consensus in the overall review patterns, at the moment I recall reports of bleed or bloat in the upper bass or lower mids, some harshness in the lower treble.
Usually, after reading listener reactions for years over a range of products, you come to a point where you can make a fairly accurate guess as to how you might like the IEM. Didn't have confidence with this one.
And the final issue was the weight, comfort and forced over-the-ear use with the permanent and thick memory cord.
So, just a few small things and uncertainties... But I still want to hear them at some point! It would be even better if they were to release the 750 Gen2 that corrected those issues. I'm waiting. :)

Mar 2, 2016 at 12:48 AM Post #6 of 13
According to your genre, it may require detail and for me, vshaped isn't the way to go with DN1000 for jazz and classical. I recommend somewhat neutral or warm IEMs.

Haven't heard the DN1000, but I have heard the same reaction from others. Don't go there.

Another one you might look into is the Trinity Alpha, hybrid design, very nice construction with detachable cable, about $200. I have one of the earlier models, Delta (~$130), and it's impressive. Also hybrid. Supposedly the Alpha perfected the Delta sound, although the physical design far exceeds the Delta. The Delta needs to be tamed a bit in the bass, this is done by covering/plugging a small vent hole at the rear of the housing. I actually don't mind the extra bass on this one, it doesn't bleed into the mids. Great for Mahler :) Highs are really nice also.

Mar 2, 2016 at 4:59 AM Post #7 of 13
  Haven't heard the DN1000, but I have heard the same reaction from others. Don't go there.

Another one you might look into is the Trinity Alpha, hybrid design, very nice construction with detachable cable, about $200. I have one of the earlier models, Delta (~$130), and it's impressive. Also hybrid. Supposedly the Alpha perfected the Delta sound, although the physical design far exceeds the Delta. The Delta needs to be tamed a bit in the bass, this is done by covering/plugging a small vent hole at the rear of the housing. I actually don't mind the extra bass on this one, it doesn't bleed into the mids. Great for Mahler :) Highs are really nice also.

It was my first "serious" IEMs and really enjoyed the heck out of them. They are great, but once you get a taste of some neutral high-end headphones with superb detail, imaging presentation, you can feel right off the bat it is too inferior to match up. Everything sounds so muffled and bass feels bloated. The recessed mids did not bother me until I noticed and realized how recessed they were and volume matching can be a pain. Want to hear more mids? Too much bass and highs piercing my ears...

Mar 2, 2016 at 5:03 AM Post #8 of 13
On another note, I think hybrids as mentioned are the way to go these days. Hybrids can offer very good sound without having to pay big big bucks, however you have to be careful not to fall into v-shaped ones (unless you seek them) as many are not tuned like that. I haven't heard the high-ends that has multiple dynamic or BA drivers, but recently FLC8s has caught my attention and it is a phenomenal pair. Joker has a nice list of IEMs. http://theheadphonelist.com/
Although it looks like I'm saying go buy expensive IEMs that cost $300+, I'm not. In fact, I encourage to start off with IEMs $100~200 to explore what sound signature you seek. Enjoyment is #1 priority and it doesn't have to be perfect in technical aspect. ^^

Mar 2, 2016 at 7:32 AM Post #9 of 13
How much are you willing to spend on IEMs because IEMs tend to improve quite well with the price until a certain point. Under 100,100~200,200~300,300+ are price ranges that mainly differ in quality. According to your genre, it may require detail and for me, vshaped isn't the way to go with DN1000 for jazz and classical. Having had it for more than a year, bass is slightly too much and recessed mids are not something I like anymore. I recommend somewhat neutral or warm IEMs.

Well, seeing that an US Dollar has barely the same value as the Swiss Franc, I would say no more than 200 USD. Under 150 would be better. That is actually one of the reasons I'm not very inclined to go the supra-aural headphone way. They are too expensive; more so than my lovely Sennheiser HD 598. So I'm not ready to pay more than that.

So DN1000s are out of the list. What about the others? Sennheiser IE60, RHA MA750, Etymotic HF5, Shure SE215. I'm told they are either neutral or warm, not v-shaped.

I can't seem to find the Trinity Alpha anywhere. Could it be Trinity Atlas? They seem very good.
  I would think that penonaudio.com and lendmeurears.com deliver to Switzerland. Both good company that treat their customers well.

The 750s... I still want to hear them actually.
Well, I imagine you heard all the good things as I did, so enough reason to be very interested.

The negatives for me were:
Didn't see a consensus in the overall review patterns, at the moment I recall reports of bleed or bloat in the upper bass or lower mids, some harshness in the lower treble.
Usually, after reading listener reactions for years over a range of products, you come to a point where you can make a fairly accurate guess as to how you might like the IEM. Didn't have confidence with this one.
And the final issue was the weight, comfort and forced over-the-ear use with the permanent and thick memory cord.
So, just a few small things and uncertainties... But I still want to hear them at some point! It would be even better if they were to release the 750 Gen2 that corrected those issues. I'm waiting. :)

I'll look into that. They are the cheapest in the bunch, tough.

On another note, I think hybrids as mentioned are the way to go these days. Hybrids can offer very good sound without having to pay big big bucks, however you have to be careful not to fall into v-shaped ones (unless you seek them) as many are not tuned like that. I haven't heard the high-ends that has multiple dynamic or BA drivers, but recently FLC8s has caught my attention and it is a phenomenal pair. Joker has a nice list of IEMs. http://theheadphonelist.com/
Although it looks like I'm saying go buy expensive IEMs that cost $300+, I'm not. In fact, I encourage to start off with IEMs $100~200 to explore what sound signature you seek. Enjoyment is #1 priority and it doesn't have to be perfect in technical aspect. ^^

The Trinity Atlas that rnros suggested seem to fit the description. Hybrid IEM that even has interchangeable filters. For 139 pounds, that is roughly 190 CHF. A bit steep but I'll look into it (because it comes with multiple cables, filters, tips and free shipping).

Mar 2, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #10 of 13
What about the others? Sennheiser IE60, RHA MA750, Etymotic HF5, Shure SE215. I'm told they are either neutral or warm, not v-shaped.

Always hard to strongly suggest an IEM for someone else because there is actually much more involved than just a verbal description of the frequency response.
Having said that and reacting to the only baseline offered, the HD598 (modest bass/midcentric), I'll give my perspective on your proposed options. My first instinct is to stay with something midcentric, or at least not recessed mids. There's a strong negative reaction to losing the mids when you're positively acclimated to a rich midrange.

Sennheiser IE60: No idea whatsoever on this one. Why isn't there more attention and response to these? May be telling.

Etymotic HF5: For accuracy, refinement, and less bass, not the most exciting but you can easily love them for what they offer. No doubt the most comfortable on your list, however, they are designed for deeper insertion in the ear canal. Extremely light and easy to wear.

RHA MA750: The opposite end of the spectrum in terms of bass and weight/wearability. Lots of good feedback on these with just a couple of small issues, no IEM gets it all right. No reason not to pull the trigger on these if want a dynamic earphone with solid bass and rich midrange. Comfortable fit is always a little bit of gamble, especially as the size and weight increases. However, at the $89 cost that is available to you, it's hard to pass up. This was originally released at $129 IIRC.

Shure SE215: Single micro driver. Has fairly good reviews. Looks comfortable and light. Not a huge following.

Here is something to consider with a single micro driver. One of the most loved, and reviled, IEMs of the past few years. It's only ~$25. Was original designed to retail at $80. Can be a first, or interim, earphone until you can choose something more expensive. I always have a pair of these around. When I travel I always pack a pair of these along with another of my current favorites.
Will give a beautiful, natural midrange, sub bass down to 10Hz, and some of the smoothest treble to be found. There is a very minor mod that can easily be done to open the high end the last little bit. In the thread linked below, the mod is detailed with photos by the audio engineer who designed the earphone. With the mod is the only way I listen to it. (I guess, to be honest, it's damn good w/o the mod.) A super comfortable and durable earphone (stainless steel construction). Some hate the flat cable, not really suitable for over the ear use.

"The overall sound signature of MH1 is warm and sweet, while well balanced in all frequencies. Bass extends down to 10Hz and hits with really good quantity and quality. Not the fastest or biggest impact around, but nothing to be ashamed of even among bass monster. Mid is sweet and right in the butter zone to give the right balance of intimacy and texture while still maintains a good sense of layer and space. Treble extends up to the very top, but it is more about smoothness than it is brightness. While analytical listeners might not find the sparkle or crispiness to be enough for their taste, it still however compliments the mid and bass impeccably and doesn’t feel lacking in anyway. Soundstage is rather good. By no mean the best of the best or endlessly large, it does portrait width and depth in a very 3D, well layered and resolving manner within its own confine."
(http://www.head-fi.org/t/632892/review-sony-mh1-the-best-kept-secret)

As you use different earphones, you will be better able to choose your next step. So, it's a good idea to try less expensive phones first. There really is advantage to trying several ones with good sound quality as opposed to investing a larger amount in something that may or may not be suitable for you. There are some good sound options also in the $60 range.

Now tell us. How are you driving these on the go? Phone, DAP, with/with out amp?

Mar 2, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #11 of 13
(...) As you use different earphones, you will be better able to choose your next step. So, it's a good idea to try less expensive phones first. There really is advantage to trying several ones with good sound quality as opposed to investing a larger amount in something that may or may not be suitable for you. There are some good sound options also in the $60 range.

Now tell us. How are you driving these on the go? Phone, DAP, with/with out amp?

The only earphones I have that aren't earbuds (like Apple's) are the ones that came with my HTC One. I had a pair of Sennheiser CX 200. They were alright but I gifted them to a family member, so I never really paid attention to their sound signature.

I usually use earphones with my HTC One and my notebook. The notebook seems to have some kind of amp because I use my Hd 598's on 15% of maximal volume and never past 25%. I got a portable DAC/Amp but it will not arrive in the near future, so I have no idea how they fare with that. I do have an iPod Classic and a Touch through which I sometimes hear music.

Edit ---------------

BTW, you said that you like the Trinity Deltas a lot. Well, apparently they are releasing a new revision of those on April (Delta V-II, weird naming). They would cost around $120, still in my budget. Maybe I should wait for those to see how it goes?

Mar 4, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #12 of 13
  BTW, you said that you like the Trinity Deltas a lot. Well, apparently they are releasing a new revision of those on April (Delta V-II, weird naming). They would cost around $120, still in my budget. Maybe I should wait for those to see how it goes?

The Deltas that I have, first version, are not as durable as I would like to see (cable and strain relief). So you will have to wait and see how they address the construction issue. The housing is fine, just the cable and strain relief. Seems like a long wait with no guarantees as to where it will go.

Some of your original suggestions and some of the other options proposed have safer expectations.
I think the Dunu Titan series is still one of the good options, esp. Titan 3 or Titan 5. Originally described Titan 5, but since we spoke about a forward midrange, I think the Titan 3 might be a better choice. $135.

Here's a thorough review of the Titan 3 with links to the Head-Fi thread for additional extensive info:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/dunu-titan-3/reviews/14316

If you want to try one of the Titans at a much lower price, FiiO has released their own version, made by Dunu and similar to Titan 1, for $69. Cable has also been improved. Great value, same or better quality.
http://www.fiio.net/en/products/43

These should be available for you at penonaudio.com or lendmeurears.com

Lendmeurears also has an option that might work out well for you if you want something similar to the 750 sound but with a slightly better bass end and with none of the questionable wear issues. About $98.

Here's a good review for the Lendmeurears Alpha Delta:
http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone_review/alpha-delta-ad01-in-ear-earphone-review/

And the 750 by the same reviewer:
http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone_review/rha-ma750-ma750i/#comment-2534

Mar 4, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #13 of 13
  The Deltas that I have, first version, are not as durable as I would like to see (cable and strain relief). So you will have to wait and see how they address the construction issue. The housing is fine, just the cable and strain relief. Seems like a long wait with no guarantees as to where it will go.

Some of your original suggestions and some of the other options proposed have safer expectations.
I think the Dunu Titan series is still one of the good options, esp. Titan 3 or Titan 5. Originally described Titan 5, but since we spoke about a forward midrange, I think the Titan 3 might be a better choice. $135.

Here's a thorough review of the Titan 3 with links to the Head-Fi thread for additional extensive info:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/dunu-titan-3/reviews/14316

If you want to try one of the Titans at a much lower price, FiiO has released their own version, made by Dunu and similar to Titan 1, for $69. Cable has also been improved. Great value, same or better quality.
http://www.fiio.net/en/products/43

These should be available for you at penonaudio.com or lendmeurears.com

Lendmeurears also has an option that might work out well for you want something similar to the 750 sound but with a slightly better bass end and with none of the questionable wear issues. About $98.

Here's a good review for the Lendmeurears Alpha Delta:
http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone_review/alpha-delta-ad01-in-ear-earphone-review/

And the 750 by the same reviewer:
http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone_review/rha-ma750-ma750i/#comment-2534

The Titan 3 and the Alpha Delta look very interesting. However, I would have to pay for shipping and (probably) taxes. Not much of a problem, but I have to take that into account. As I'm not really in a hurry, I'll probably wait out until the end of the month to see those revised Deltas. The reviewers seem to me more favorable to the Trinity's Delta than to the LMUE's Alpha Delta (or even Dunu's Titan 3).

I am still thinking the MA750 to be honest, but, since reading some more reviews, I'm worried about the weight making it discomfortable after a few hours.

Your help is most appreciated, rnros!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back