Recommendations for IEMs $50-$200 budget.
Sep 14, 2013 at 6:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

SCBebop

New Head-Fier
Hi I'm deciding to purchase my first real IEMS. I've never actually quite listened to music with good IEMs yet and now I think it's finally time. My head does get a bit too warm from headphones and IEMs are more convenient for times when you're just laying in bed and so on. 

I'll be mainly using these earphones for listening to music genres like instrumentals, classical, hip-hop, jpop and kpop. I plan on using these IEMs once I manage to get my hands on a portable MP3/FLAC player. Aside from that I'll be mainly using these on my laptop/desktop. I'm not too big on bass just as long as it's more natural sounding like with my Sennheiser HD 598s. I prefer the sound to be crisp and detailed since I listen to pretty mellow stuff like Nujabes. It would be a big plus if the IEMs were comfortable since I noticed that some earphones do dig into your ear canal too deep. 

But yeah these are basically my standards so far:

- Natural sounding bass
 - $50-$200 
 - Great listening for genres like jpop, kpop, jazz, instrumentals, hip-hop, and classical. 

Uses
 - Desktop/Laptop with USB Headphone Amp/DAC which I know won't help much for the IEMS.
 - iPod or MP3/FLAC Player.
 - Movies, TV Shows, and anime with flac audio. 

Sep 14, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #4 of 8

1. Don't bump your own threads in such a small time frame. If nobody replies to you for a day or two, then bump your threads. It's not a good idea to bump your threads after 20-60 minutes.

In terms of recommendations there are plenty of choices. I personally have no idea what the 598's sound like but if you don't want too much bass, and you want a clear balanced sound then some of the top choices to look into would be:

The RE-400
Vsonic GR07
TDK BA-200
Rockit R-50

Sep 14, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #5 of 8
I don't know any of those, but the Etymotic ER-4P's have a legacy that goes back 10+ years.  Yes, they go deep, but it's the tips that cause discomfort, if any - and I haven't found the Ety's to be any less comfortable than other IEM's.

Meanwhile, the fact that they go deep means sound isolation is just about unbeatable.  I can sit at my desk when using them and miss phone calls from a phone right next to me because I can't hear it ring.  At the same time, detail is on par with electrostatics - they are truly a top-of-the-line IEM.  The biggest thing people complain about them is a lack of bass.  Yet, you will hear the deepest bass and solid hits - it's just that it's not over-emphasized.

Yeah, technically they're over $200 - but not by much.  You can get them for $230 right now at many places.

Sep 14, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #6 of 8

1. Don't bump your own threads in such a small time frame. If nobody replies to you for a day or two, then bump your threads. It's not a good idea to bump your threads after 20-60 minutes.

In terms of recommendations there are plenty of choices. I personally have no idea what the 598's sound like but if you don't want too much bass, and you want a clear balanced sound then some of the top choices to look into would be:

The RE-400
Vsonic GR07
TDK BA-200
Rockit R-50

Ah I apologize. I thought I had it in the wrong thread so I just posted it to another forum. Thanks for the input. I just purchased the Vsonic GR07. I hope it's worth the money.

Sep 14, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #7 of 8
No problem. I think you'll like the GR07, but they made need some time to burn in. Most people say they sound better after they've been used a bit, but not everyone believes in that theory. The GR07 has always been quite popular on here. Where'd you order from?

Dec 19, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #8 of 8
I would have no problem recommending the Shure SE-315; it has a very pristine, accurate sound, and gives you plenty of bass when it's there in the music. Plus, once you fall in love with its sound, there's the 535 and 846 up from there. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back