Recommendations for Hiby R6 and compatible IEM combinations...
Jul 18, 2018 at 7:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

thedanadamsusa

100+ Head-Fier
Hi All,

I have a question regarding IEM compatibility with a Hiby R6 DAP. I have recently upgraded my Pioneer XDP-300R for the new Hiby unit. Currently my IEMs are Westone UM PRO 50 - using an ALO Reference 8 cable in balanced mode. While I've loved using these, I'm thinking about an upgrade. Ideally, whatever IEMs I decide to go with would fulfill the following;

• Be a noticeable upgrade on what I already own.
  • Play well with the Hiby R6, using a balanced connection.
  • Also work well with my ALO Reference 8 cable, using MMCX connectors.

With that in mind, I have a few models in mind and wanted to know if anyone else had experience of similar combinations, or even an opinion on which direction might be most suitable. The models I'm considering vary in cost by quite a considerable margin, but ultimately over and above compatibility with the DAP and Ref 8 cable, I'm looking for the best bang-for-buck performers - so if the performance justifies the cost, then maybe I'll have to save a bit longer! I feel the UM PRO 50s fell into this category when I purchased them; as I felt they were a more engaging listen than say a Westone W60 - costing around $350 more, which I was originally considering at the time. I also fully appreciate that the output impedance of the Hiby R6 could limit my options, but am not against using an iEmatch if the combination could be stellar. Btw, I am also more than happy to consider alternate suggestions to the options listed below. My list isn't set in stone by any means. I listen all to most genres of music, and have also enjoyed listening to the Hiby through my 'home' cans - Grado PS500e. My shortlist so far is;

• Campfire Andromeda
  • Campfire Vega
  • 64Audio A6t
  • 64Audio U12t

Many thanks in advance for any opinions shared.

Dan

Jul 31, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #2 of 6
Unless you plan on getting the iEmatch I would stay away from the Andromeda. It sounds a little dull and lifeless out of the R6 probably due to the high OI of the R6.

I only have a few minutes of listening but I just tried the Empire Ears ESR out of the balanced output of the R6 and was seriously impressed.

Jul 31, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks for the reply, but I have now pulled the trigger on a pair of Empire Ears Hermes VIs. I will use an iEMatch with them, but am focusing on upgrade cables now; as the standard cable is a 3.5mm single ended connection. What I really am attempting to focus on are the following cables;

Ares II 8-wire
Lionheart
Thor II Silver

And their suitability/synergy with the Hiby R6 over a balanced connection. Obviously, I’m always happy to take advice on something maybe I haven’t considered. But ultimately I’ve read a fair amount of reviews for the three cables listed above and feel they would be well suited to my Hermes VIs - esp as Empire Ears are now using Effects Audio cables as standard on some of the newer models. I’m hoping someone has experience of one, or some of the combinations and can impart some advice.

Jul 31, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #4 of 6
Aug 1, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #5 of 6
Thanks for the reply, but I have now pulled the trigger on a pair of Empire Ears Hermes VIs. I will use an iEMatch with them, but am focusing on upgrade cables now; as the standard cable is a 3.5mm single ended connection. What I really am attempting to focus on are the following cables;

Ares II 8-wire
Lionheart
Thor II Silver

And their suitability/synergy with the Hiby R6 over a balanced connection. Obviously, I’m always happy to take advice on something maybe I haven’t considered. But ultimately I’ve read a fair amount of reviews for the three cables listed above and feel they would be well suited to my Hermes VIs - esp as Empire Ears are now using Effects Audio cables as standard on some of the newer models. I’m hoping someone has experience of one, or some of the combinations and can impart some advice.

Not sure about the Hermes (although I have heard and really like them) but a pure silver cable sounds really nice with my Supra-II.

From my experience with the Hermes though...it already sounds really nice with the stock cable, so I would just get a better quality silver-platted copper cable. I asked the manufacturer and they said the stock cables are SPC.

Aug 1, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #6 of 6
Not sure about the Hermes (although I have heard and really like them) but a pure silver cable sounds really nice with my Supra-II.

From my experience with the Hermes though...it already sounds really nice with the stock cable, so I would just get a better quality silver-platted copper cable. I asked the manufacturer and they said the stock cables are SPC.

Thanks for your input. There are two key reasons why I want to change the cable btw;

a) The stock cable is a SE connection - my DAP, the Hiby R6, really improves with a balanced connection.

b) If I'm going to change the cable, I may as well upgrade it too.

Btw, I've been listening the Hermes on a SE connection through my old Pioneer XDP-300R, and they sound better than my UM PRO 50s on a balanced connection, and an ALO Ref 8. Really impressed already!

I forgot to mention, I've gone for the Lionheart; as it seems to sit between the Ares and the Thor in tone. Not too warm, but not too bright...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back