Recommendations for heavier electronic music?
Feb 1, 2009 at 12:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Psionicist

New Head-Fier
So I'm going to upgrade my five year old Beyerdynamic DT531 to something newer.

Can anyone here recommend some decent headphones for heavier electronic music ("electro-industrual", "harsh ebm" etc)? I'm looking for bass and clarity for all the synths.
smily_headphones1.gif

Note: I have a quite good setup (V-DAC + CanAmp) because I also listen to jazz, classical music and movie soundtracks. So my budget is around AKG K701 or thereabouts.

Edit: Wow, I actually asked about my DT531 on this very forum, five years ago! Damn, time flies.
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit 2: In this case, "heavier electronic music" usually means more bass than regular electronica, and a harsher, noiser sound. Some acts I've been listening to lately are Wumpscut and Noisuf-X.

Feb 1, 2009 at 1:51 AM Post #3 of 9
Thanks for the suggestion, appreciated! I'd like to stick with one of the well known european brands though, mainly because of exchange rates.

I should really rephrase my question: Of the open headphones in the AKG K701 / Beyer DT990 price range, which handles electronic music best?

My listening habits are around 20 % electronic, 80 % clasical and jazz. I already have a pretty good idea about how each handles classical and jazz, but the information about heavy electronic music is harder to come by. I searched but didn't find anyhing.

Feb 1, 2009 at 2:15 AM Post #5 of 9
Everyone is going to tell you you need bass heavy cans but if they music is bass heavy to begin with I don't think it is necessary. I produce dubstep on k702s I have to say it sounds great through those cans.

Feb 1, 2009 at 2:38 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by abZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Everyone is going to tell you you need bass heavy cans but if they music is bass heavy to begin with I don't think it is necessary. I produce dubstep on k702s I have to say it sounds great through those cans.

I disagree, not everyone. I've read a few recent posts in other threads to the contrary, basically saying that bassy headphones are not necessary to enjoy bass heavy music (and I agree). It's a matter of preference. Some will prefer this and others will prefer that. However, the OP seems to be looking for good, detailed bass with clarity. IMO, Ultrasone does that pretty well, but of course so do other headphones.

Feb 1, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I disagree, not everyone. I've read a few recent posts in other threads to the contrary, basically saying that bassy headphones are not necessary to enjoy bass heavy music (and I agree). It's a matter of preference. Some will prefer this and others will prefer that. However, the OP seems to be looking for good, detailed bass with clarity. IMO, Ultrasone does that pretty well, but of course so do other headphones.

Word. That was probably a poor choice of words on my part. A lot of people I know that make the same bass heavy music as I do also recommend Ultrasones for what it is worth.

Feb 1, 2009 at 3:38 AM Post #9 of 9
I listen the about the same mix of music and the Grado's have been stellar.

I know you want to stay European but maybe an Alessandro Music Series? Haven't heard them myself but they should be comparable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back