Recommendations for Headphones
Nov 9, 2016 at 8:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

EMAudio

New Head-Fier
I am looking for a new set of closed circumaural headphones to upgrade to from my Audio Technica ath-M50x's. My budget is a maximum of $250 USD and I listen to various types of heavy metal and edm. I listen to more chill edm and want a headphone that would be good for songs like "Sly Fox - Koan Sound" and "No Answer - Tennyson" but also for less chill songs like "The Alchemist - Savant" and "Starfish - Savant." I have my eyes on the Audio Technica Msr7's right now and would like to know if these would be good headphones for me or if there are better headphones for me at a similar price.

Nov 9, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #2 of 25
I am looking for a new set of closed circumaural headphones to upgrade to from my Audio Technica ath-M50x's. My budget is a maximum of $250 USD and I listen to various types of heavy metal and edm. I listen to more chill edm and want a headphone that would be good for songs like "Sly Fox - Koan Sound" and "No Answer - Tennyson" but also for less chill songs like "The Alchemist - Savant" and "Starfish - Savant." I have my eyes on the Audio Technica Msr7's right now and would like to know if these would be good headphones for me or if there are better headphones for me at a similar price.

Zreviews said the hifiman edition s is better than the msr7s and the back of the earcups can be removed for a larger soundstage. The msr7 is not a bad option either

Nov 9, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #3 of 25
Those do look good but I really am more looking for just a closed headphone as I already have good open ones. In Zreviews video about these he says they sound better open and a little too sibilant when closed which is not something I am looking for.

Nov 9, 2016 at 7:55 PM Post #4 of 25
Those do look good but I really am more looking for just a closed headphone as I already have good open ones. In Zreviews video about these he says they sound better open and a little too sibilant when closed which is not something I am looking for.

I think you will really enjoy the msr7. It will be a bit more balanced than the m50x with better midrange clarity for vocals, piano, or stringed instruments. The msr7 is slightly bright but should be less bright than the m50x

Nov 9, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #5 of 25
Will they have a more enjoyable sound for music than the M50x's? I felt like the M50x's were too boring for me in terms of sound quality because songs that would normally give me goosebumps to listen to had lost that quality with the 50's.

Nov 9, 2016 at 8:57 PM Post #6 of 25
  Will they have a more enjoyable sound for music than the M50x's? I felt like the M50x's were too boring for me in terms of sound quality because songs that would normally give me goosebumps to listen to had lost that quality with the 50's.

It depends on what was lacking for your m50s, there will be slightly more soundstage but not a whole lot. If better mids, guitar, vocals is your thing then they will be more enjoyable

Nov 10, 2016 at 12:09 AM Post #10 of 25
  The kind of edm I listen to isn't very bass heavy though so I'm conflicted on whether to get these or the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro +'s

In that case, I would go with the msr7, I haven't heard the custom pros but I hear the bass is kind of muddy in comparison to higher end headphones. But it doesn't hurt to try any of them if you really want to

Nov 10, 2016 at 12:11 AM Post #11 of 25
Thank You, definitely getting the Msr7's 
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 23, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #13 of 25
After a month with the Msr7's, I am very satisfied with them. Their sound can definitely be described as bright but not the kind of bright with piercing treble, more so upper mids to lower highs and this really comes out in the music I listened to. Switching to these from the M50x's was strange at first as they have a different emphasis on the music with the upper mids being highlighted. Their bass has so much clarity and tightness compared to the M50x's which had bass that would sometimes bleed into the mids. I didn't really experience any fatigue from the treble at all which is good because that was definitely a problem with my sennheiser hd598's after an hour of listening. These were great for most of the genres I wrote about in my initial post as well as classical. The only real complaints i have about these is that right out of the box the clamp force was a little much but this was fixed by bending the headband.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back