Recommendations for Headphones and Tube Amp ($1000 budget)
May 9, 2008 at 2:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Steve The Egg

100+ Head-Fier
I currently have Sony MDR-NC60 Noise Cancelling Headphones (found here: MDR-NC60 | Noise Canceling Headphones | Sony | SonyStyle USA). And I have an M-Audio Revoltuion 5.1. I really want some nice headphones, and I don't care if they are open or closed. I have been eye balling the HD650's for quite sometime now. And, I've really been looking at some amps. But before I bought them I was wondering if you guys had any words of wisdom for me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Hopefully, this will make it easier for you:

DAC/Source: M-Audio Revolution 5.1
Current Headphones: Sony MDR-NC60 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Open or Closed: Don't Care
Cords: I'd like a 10-20 foot cord to alternative with the stock one.
Type of Music (order of importance) Rock, Alternative, Hardcore/Screamo, Techno/Electronica, and Classical
Headphone Budget: >$400 (Hopefully less than $250-$300)
Amp Budget: $400-$600 (Hopefully less than $500)
Amp- Mobile or Desk: Desktop/Stationary

May 9, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #2 of 17
Hi mate,

Surprinsing you haven't received any replies so far. I guess it's your question being too vague and your musical taste quite wide.
I wonder why have you considered tube amps instead of SS. Any experience? Have you listened to different amps?

I think you'd better tell us which is your previous experience with other headphones apart from those NC Sonys, and if possible, how do you like the sound, if you like a extended bodyful bass or you prefer it lean and very tight, what's your preference about treble, etc.

There are too many options within your budget that you're at risk of many people suggesting a different thing each one, which wouldn't be very helpful for you.

My advice is that you try to listen different common options like some Grados, AKG, Sennheiser, even Denon or Audio Technica if available in your area, so you'd know better what type of sound is more of your liking.

Rgrds

May 9, 2008 at 4:15 PM Post #3 of 17
yea, it would help a lot if you mentioned the type of sound signature you like. I'm not too sure if the 650's would be the best choice for your music preferences though...

May 9, 2008 at 4:22 PM Post #4 of 17
The Torpedo is right about the cans and the utility of telling more about your sonic preferences.

But as for the amp, there happens to be a Doge on the for sale boards that would, imo, be a pretty safe bet. I currently have one of these and it is FAR better than more expensive amps I have owned/heard. It is being sold by a pro and at a very good price. Tube options are plentiful and reasonable and have a big effect on the sound. Impedance alternatives with a switch. Pre-amp output.

Anyway, thought it worth mentioning as if you bought it used and wound up wanting something else, it would be pretty easy to recoup a good portion. And in the low $300s you have lots of room in your budget for something good on your ears.....

May 9, 2008 at 5:46 PM Post #5 of 17
You might want to consider Ultraphone Pro 750's with a Woo WA6 (stock). That would be around $900 total, depending on how much of a discount you could wangle on the 750's. Since most of your preferences lean toward forms that like bass, the 750's, or (if you like more a more colored bass sound) Beyerdynamics DT770s or 880s, still within the same general budget.

May 10, 2008 at 2:12 AM Post #6 of 17
The Sony headphones sound...ok...if it gives you any idea of their worth, I put on some Bose closed headphones at Circuity City one day and they kicked the **** out of the Sony ones I own. The Sony ones sound half way decent with the noise canceling on. But the catch is, to use the noise canceling you have to sitting pretty much straight up, and it can't be hitting anything. Or else there is an intolerable bass...buzzing...loud...it's just awful. So, I have to listen to it with out the noise canceling on.

I like the way tube amps sound. I only have experience with guitar amps though. Same principle right?

I think I prefer a tighter bass. I really don't enjoy a bass that feels loose. I like it to be very accurate when there is bass. I hate when it sort of drags on. Do you know what I'm saying? I might not be making sense right now. I don't know what you mean by colored bass sound...

I really listen to rock, screamo/hardcore, and techno. The other stuff is really occasional.

May 10, 2008 at 8:19 AM Post #7 of 17
Hi mate,

Things start to look clearer.

Since you seem to be mainly a rock listener, you should try some Grado phones. I don't like their sound signature nor their fit on my ears, but I recognize they sound good and fun with rock, the better the harder it is
wink.gif

Other phones doing rock quite fine are Ultrasones and Denon D5000. Some Audio Technica like ATH-AH2000 do too.
I still believe you need to listen for yourself several options before commiting your money into a purchase blindly.

Regarding the amp question, yes, tubes are tubes and are plugged and used the same way in audio equipment and guitar amps, BUT and this is a big BUT, in audio equipment they're not (or at least they shouldn't) used driven hardly into distortion as they are in guitar amps. Tubes sound nicer than SS in guitar amps because when you are using distortion and overload, the distortion harmonic pattern the tubes offer is nicer sounding to human ear than transistor's. But in audio gear, you want a distortion and noise free performance. This makes that good tube amps and good SS amps sound very alike, but SS amps are usually more trouble free and more affordable. Bad tube amps sound colored, tending to warm and mellow, which is something you might dislike. Listen before buying an amp.

Rgrds

May 10, 2008 at 2:52 PM Post #9 of 17
Thanks guys! I'm not really sure where I can listen to the headphones before I buy them. I think look at Grado and Denon D5000. I've read some good reviews on those. So, you are suggesting an SS amp?

May 10, 2008 at 2:53 PM Post #10 of 17
We share similar musical taste so I'll offer up my opinions. Nothing does rock quite like a grado, I've owned the sr-60 and the sr-225 and am looking next at the rs-2. Fast, punchy bass, great speed and a very high energy with the best midrange I've ever heard make these perfect for rock or anything else with a guitar in it. If you went with the used doge mentioned previously you could jump in to the rs series...

That being said, I just received my ultrasone proline 750s and they're fantastic. More detail than the grados and the best bass i've ever heard. Period.

May 10, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve The Egg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks guys! I'm not really sure where I can listen to the headphones before I buy them. I think look at Grado and Denon D5000. I've read some good reviews on those. So, you are suggesting an SS amp?

Not really "suggesting" that you purchase a SS amp instead of a tube amp, just warning you that there's nothing magic about amps, and either tubes or SS can sound very good if things are done right. Tube amps tend to have more warmth and kind of "proximity" when not completely neutral and accurate, while SS amps sound colder, brighter and less involving if not very good too. But once things have a certain level of quality, both implementations can sound very good. SS amps are more convenient and produce less hassle due to tube swapping and all that, but tubes, once you find the ones matching and complementing your cans simply right, could be more musically engaging.
My point is that if you're not very experienced in audio, sound, evaluation and all that, you'd probably find an affordable, capable and good sounding amp in the SS realm more easily than in the tube side. Going tubes usually means starting to swap them, buying NOS tubes.. you end up spending on tubes more than your amp cost, and you still might be disatisfied. IMHO it's better spending the money in the cans to chose them right.
If you were to buy the D5000, then for sure I'd advice you better going for SS amps. Most of them are more current capable to handle the low impedance of the D5000. If you opted for other cans, then a tubes one could do equally well.
My advice is that you first select the cans that suit you best, then go for the amp once you know the requirements to drive them well.

Rgrds

May 10, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #12 of 17
I think I'm going to get the Denon ones. Because I'm very comfortable with the closed style. And I heard the Grado one's are uncomfortable. Can you guys help me out yet again???

There are two models I'm considering. The 5000 which is $700 and the 2000 which is $350. Now, that's double price...is their a huge difference? Also, with these, what sort of SS amp would you recommend? Also, is my source (m-audio revolution) good enough? I may run into some interesting budget choices here :/

May 10, 2008 at 10:04 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

I think I'm going to get the Denon ones. Because I'm very comfortable with the closed style. And I heard the Grado one's are uncomfortable. Can you guys help me out yet again???

There are two models I'm considering. The 5000 which is $700 and the 2000 which is $350. Now, that's double price...is their a huge difference? Also, with these, what sort of SS amp would you recommend? Also, is my source (m-audio revolution) good enough? I may run into some interesting budget choices here :/

Not to throw a wrench in your plans, but.......
icon10.gif

For $1000, you could get a Mapletree Ear+ Purist HD amp (tubes) with say the Grado 225's and still have $100+ left over for tube rolling (which is actually a lot of fun!). I've found this to be a GREAT combo for Rock music. Tube equipment doesn't have to be slow or syrupy. The Mapletree is a very good amp and looks great with the vintage Grado headphones.

BTW, Grados aren't anywhere near as uncomfortable as you hear people gripe about on this forum.
rolleyes.gif
I've worn mine for several hours continuous and then stood up too quickly, knocking them off, because I didn't even realize they were still on my head
tongue.gif

May 11, 2008 at 8:38 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

I haven't listened to both to know exactly how different they are, but looking at their response graphs and for Markl's comments on the modded D5000 thread by the last page, he feels them sounding not as similar as some people reported.

You'd better listen both before buying.

Rgrds

Users who are viewing this thread

Back