Recommendations for Headphone & DAC/AMP Kit - $200 Budget
Oct 27, 2022 at 12:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

slainte

100+ Head-Fier
For a family member looking to dip his toes into the ocean of some good Head-Fi.

His tastes in music mostly revolve around classic rock. Source is most likely a computer. I think he might prefer closed back but not sure how effective he would be at limiting sound should he venture into open backs.

I do plan on letting him listening to some of my gear sometime soon but figured I'd get the ball rolling here.

Any and all insights are very much appreciated!

Oct 27, 2022 at 5:31 AM Post #2 of 10
With an all in budget of $200 new, I'd just do headphones for starts... maybe the DT770 or AKG K371. Then they could build from there.

Oct 27, 2022 at 9:13 AM Post #4 of 10
I also agree with above that headphones before dac/amp with your budget. Unless you go used, price for basic dac/amp will be around $200~$250. JDS Atom stack or Schitt stack are among many popular choices. AKG/DT770(32ohm) should be easy enough to use without dac/amp to start.

Oct 27, 2022 at 9:24 AM Post #5 of 10
Thanks.

What if he increased his budget to $300? Is there a worthy DAC/AMP that would pair well with most headphones including the ones you mentioned?
Best advice is to buy used. A Magni/Modi and DT770 can be had for around $250 all in. Someone starting out is probably going to want to be the first owner of their headphone, but it's a waste of money. All of this is starter gear--sure, some people keep them for a long time, but most who get into the hobby will sell this stuff off pretty quickly and it's a shock when you buy stuff for $425 new and you can only resell it for half that.

There's also the chance your friend will prefer IEMs over headphones, so they could end up going a completely different route. $22 on a new Salnotes Zero is a bargain, $150 on a used 7Hz Timeless plus a portable DAC will also be well within budget.

Oct 27, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #6 of 10
Some headphones need an amp; some don't. Low impedance often means no amp necessary -- check reviews on Head-Fi.

As someone said above, better to invest in a higher-quality headphone, especially for a beginner, than the other boxes. But really, get a good idea of his planned usage. Open-backs will bother anyone else in the room; closed-backs or IEMs won't. And he might prefer IEMs for portability.

Grado is often recommended for rock in particular, but they are open-back and loud (and low-impedance).

If you are intent on a DAC/Amp, and it's going to be stationary, computer/deskside listening, consider Venture Electronics' Megatron DAC/Amp. There's a Head-Fi thread and a very positive review on the Dongle Madness site.

VE Megatron is all of $56 shipped to USA; if you're in Ireland (slainte), that might be slightly different, but it's coming from China anyway.
https://www.veclan.com/engappliance_sel_one?eng_ApplianceVo.eac_id=63

It is a metal box with a USB connector (USB C and standard USB), slightly larger than a cigarette pack, with excellent specs and lots of power. It doesn't have its own volume control, probably contributing to the low price; volume is controlled at the source (computer/phone/player).

It runs on the USB power from a computer or phone; no internal battery or external wall wart. (Schitt has heavy adapters not shown with the sleek aluminum boxes.) Megatron would be a little bulky to pair with a phone but it can be done.

I have a Magni 3, but I was curious about the Megatron, and I don't hear any great difference in quality. I'm using it with power-hungry ATH-R70X (470 ohms) and it sounds excellent.

Schitt does make a budget DAC/Amp combo, the $99 Fulla, if you want to investigate that; I have no experience with it.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2022 at 7:53 PM Post #7 of 10
Thanks for all the good advice. Need to get a feel for his preference with open vs closed. For instance, if he prefers open, then I think grado might be a good place to start. But would also depend on bright vs warm. Lots to suss out.

Nov 6, 2022 at 8:52 PM Post #8 of 10
Thanks for all the good advice. Need to get a feel for his preference with open vs closed. For instance, if he prefers open, then I think grado might be a good place to start. But would also depend on bright vs warm. Lots to suss out.
You might want him try a pair of grados in- person before purchase. Afaik all grados are on-ears and are quite the ergonomic disadvantage compared to normal over-ear headphones, many dislike this sort of fit

Nov 6, 2022 at 10:03 PM Post #9 of 10
You might want him try a pair of grados in- person before purchase. Afaik all grados are on-ears and are quite the ergonomic disadvantage compared to normal over-ear headphones, many dislike this sort of fit

Absolutely agree. I have a pair of Grado SR60e headphones. They were my first open-backs. Although I prefer circumaural/full-size cans, the on-ear nature of Grados weren't as uncomfortable as I thought they would be. That said, he'll need to try them and decide for himself.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2022 at 10:41 PM Post #10 of 10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back