Feb 25, 2008 at 5:32 AM Post #3 of 13
CSARDAS!

Feb 25, 2008 at 5:52 AM Post #5 of 13
Thanks a lot guys, and yea I already have the soundtrack
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 25, 2008 at 5:53 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After watching the Red Violin, I really want to listen to some gypsy violin music. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Red Violin: Great Classical Music movie.
Suggest:
41WC475K01L._AA240_.jpg

Last November I heard a live performance of Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto, performed by Elizabeth Pitcairn on the legendary 1720 "Red Mendelssohn" Stradivarius, the inspiration for the movie. The tone of the Red Strad was absolutely awesome (seats were front row center).

Feb 25, 2008 at 1:31 PM Post #9 of 13
If you are interested in gypsy folk music with an emphasis on violin, you may as well start with Taraf de Haidouks, for example their Band of the Gypsies album. It is hard to speak about a "gypsy" tradition though: gypsies roam from India to Western Europe and cross-fertilizing their music with that of the indigenous residents. In Eastern Europe (Czech, Bulgaria, the Balkans), for example, gypsy music goes under the moniker "Rom music" and a variety of form have developed, some of which have been recorded by the excellent label Traditional Crossroads.

For a new-age take on gypsy music, try Doug Cameron. There is another lovely album by a guy called Ashik, but it may not be easily available.

Feb 25, 2008 at 1:57 PM Post #10 of 13
Many of the works of Pablo Sarasate are gypsy-like, most notably Zigeunerweisen (Gypsy Airs), but there are many more by Sarasate that are incredibly fun listening, like Carmen Fantasy. Great stuff.

Feb 25, 2008 at 11:54 PM Post #13 of 13
Try Richard Hagopian, or Hagopian & Tekbilek.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back