Recommendations for good, mature Manga in English? Where to buy it?
Apr 12, 2010 at 6:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

wnewport

1000+ Head-Fier
I've developed an interest in Suehiro Maruo and Shintaro Kago. I'm able to find some of it available to download online, but I'd like to get the full collections and or physical copies.

I'd also be interested in any good anthologies for serious Manga.

I'm a poor student in the US, and I can't read Japanese, so buying expensive copies from overseas isn't an option.

I'd also be interested in recommendations for artists like the two listed above. (I downloaded the Gyo series but haven't read it yet.)

Thanks,

Wyatt

Apr 12, 2010 at 9:14 AM Post #3 of 9
I'd stay away from mangafox (make sure you have firefox + adblocker if you use it) just because they don't screen out their ads as well (I've caught a lot of malware laden ads at their site) but tend to have a bigger mature section.

Insofar as the legal solutions, you're going to be in a bit of trouble with the artists you mentioned since there is not a high demand for guro yet. I've seen some published years ago, but now a days you will only really see more mainstream stuff as it's a safer bet for US distributors to make money.

Apr 12, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #6 of 9
If your local comic book store is anything like ours, they'll have shelves upon shelves of manga and they'll know where to point you.

Apr 12, 2010 at 3:45 PM Post #7 of 9
There are some places where you can buy translated manga (Viz etc) that aren´t priced too unreasonably.

Check out the `Museum of Terror´ volumes if you like Gyo, same author.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back