Recommendations for good Ear Hooks / Ear Clips
Dec 23, 2014 at 10:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

suharsh

New Head-Fier
In past I have tried couple of In-ear models but they just wouldn't fit right / fall off / or cause discomfort. So I have given up on IEH. I do own decent full size headphones like the Stax, AKG 1000 and couple of Sennheisers. But as you can see these are not some I can take with me during travelling or while waiting at clinic or grocery store or mall while family is shopping!

I bought one Sony over the ear clip / hook type ones and I liked the form and fit for what I was looking for .. the sound was crap though .. but then they were cheap $15 or so head phones.

Given all this and that I want good sounding cans - I am looking for a decent pair of Ear Hooks / Clips type of headphones in the range of $50 to $250 (can go up if the sound / quality / fit warrants it).

Looking forward to your recommendations.

Happy Holidays and a Merry Christmas to you all!

Dec 23, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #2 of 7
Of the types of in-ear you've tried, have any had the cable going 'up and over' the ear? Or do you feel you need the hooks as well?

It's just that the 'up and over' design on its own might be enough. Also Sennheiser has earhooks and I dare say they can be used with many different brands depending on cable thickness -

http://headphonespares.sennheiser.co.uk/travel-headphones/mm-80i-travel/ear-hooks-1-pair.html

Dec 23, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #3 of 7
  Of the types of in-ear you've tried, have any had the cable going 'up and over' the ear? Or do you feel you need the hooks as well?

It's just that the 'up and over' design on its own might be enough. Also Sennheiser has earhooks and I dare say they can be used with many different brands depending on cable thickness -

http://headphonespares.sennheiser.co.uk/travel-headphones/mm-80i-travel/ear-hooks-1-pair.html

Thanks for the link - the Sennheiser clips seems to be a good idea - choose your IEH and add a clip!

The ones I owned - Koss, Shure, Etymotic and Denon ... all of them are pure IEH. I do understand that the ear hooks type will not offer a pure sound isolation but that is ok for me because the discomfirt of IEH I would rather settle for something that make me use them than store or give them away.

Dec 23, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #4 of 7
We might have crossed wires (!).. are you thinking of earbuds as 'ear hooks type'?

I'm wondering as the 'up and over' cable versions needn't sacrifice a good seal - you can have both. Also many models in the £30/$50 range can be worn down, or over the ear too, such as the SoundMAGIC E10S or the Dunu DN-12. Also the housings may cause problems, for instance they can act as a 'hilt' and prevent the tip from being inserted as deep as it needs to go. The two I mentioned shouldn't have this issue.

Dec 23, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #5 of 7
Yes I think so and it is my fault for not having been clear.

The earbuds fall off and if I have to push them a little hard ... therefore the Denon earbuds that I have though I like the sound I don't end up using. The etymotic ones go into the ear pretty well but after some time I start feeling pain. So both pure IEH and earbuds I have ruled out.

Using the SoundMagic one that you recommended, they have EH10 and EH11 that might be what solve my problem.

http://www.soundmagic.com.cn/en/products/33_38.html

Even the other ones in this link PL30, PL50 (which is the ones I think you meant by wire over the ears) may also work - honestly I didn't know these existed.

So let's say if we were to discuss the ear hook / clips ones (like the EH10 / 11) - which ones would be good ones? Also to add - I am not a bass lover, i love mid-range and warm sounding headphones.

Dec 24, 2014 at 5:25 AM Post #6 of 7
This is what I mean by earbuds -

http://www.koss.com/en/products/headphones/earbuds/KE7__KE7_Earbuds

This term also now means the little in-ears that seal too, so that may be muddying things up.

The Etymotic is notorious for either being perfect or causing pain depending on your ear (pain for me) but comply foam tips can help with them.

The sporty Soundmagic models are good, but may not fully seal - the earclip rather dictates how you can position the eartip.

The PL30 and PL50 are based on different drivers - the PL30 is dynamic and the PL50 is a balanced armature model. If you want them warm sounding, go for the PL30. This would perhaps be a cheap way to try this particular design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back