Recommendations for "glasses-compatible" cans
May 24, 2015 at 7:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

cs2718

New Head-Fier
I am starting to look at purchasing a new set of cans to appreciate the Geekout v2 (love it or hate it, I have already pre-ordered it) and am looking for a "glasses compatible" pair of headphones.  Currently, I have pairs of AudioTechica ATH-M50 and B&W C5.  I am thinking about stepping up to a pair of HD600 or HD650 and have enjoyed the endless debate about which pair is "superior".  My question - which pair is more comfortable for glasses wearing individuals?  The ATH-M50 are not glasses compatible (or at least not with my pair.)

May 24, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #2 of 5
The HD600 and HD650 should be about the same in that region, I can only go by the HD595s I own but they work pretty well with glasses, but the velour pads can rub on them and make noise if you have plastic rims glasses, but basically as long as a headphone doesn't have alot of clamp they shouldn't be detrimental.

May 25, 2015 at 2:00 AM Post #3 of 5
  I am thinking about stepping up to a pair of HD600 or HD650 and have enjoyed the endless debate about which pair is "superior".  My question - which pair is more comfortable for glasses wearing individuals? 

They'd be the same, the only difference is the drivers, the color mixed into the plastic parts (headband cover, gimbals, etc) and the headband pad. The earpads and headband frame are the same.

It's hard to answer how the ergos would be with glasses since 1. comfort is relative and 2. it also depends on your glasses. I've never, ever, had a problem with any headphone, and I barely take my glasses off (the nose pieces already have an impression on my nose), so even if I do take them off while listening at home at night I have spent some time on them while working or at a meet, or another headphone while playing on my PC,  and yet other people with glasses have something to complain about. My glasses have thin earpieces that are curved, bulging slightly at the temples, but the earpads don't push them in and just go on/around them.

Now if you're wearing those grandpa/hipster frames with earpieces that are about 12mm tall minimum and are around 2mm thick, chances are no headphone will fit on or around them. Even my grandfather used on-ears because of that.

May 25, 2015 at 2:40 AM Post #4 of 5
Beyer DT880 Premium should have less clamping force and softer ear pads.
That said, Senns HD6xx are very comfortable headphones as well.

May 25, 2015 at 2:49 AM Post #5 of 5
  Beyer DT880 Premium should have less clamping force and softer ear pads.
That said, Senns HD6xx are very comfortable headphones as well.

The headband frames on the Beyers and Senns can be bent to reduce or reorient the clamp (ie in the HD6x0 the clamp is a touch stronger on the lower part of the earpads thanks to the too round headband frame).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back