Recommendations for gaming sound setup? £150-200 Budget
Aug 8, 2014 at 4:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

plath

New Head-Fier
I've been looking to upgrade to some good quality headphones. I'm buying them primarily to play competitive CSGO with, but I wouldn't mind using them for other things if they sounded significantly better than my current sound setup (which is currently low-end) as I listen to a lot of music and watch a lot of films. In the future I might also like to upgrade my speakers to a Corsair SP2500 as well.

HPs that I've mostly been considering have been the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro and the AKG K612 Pro. Although I've also read recommendations for the Sennheiser 558. I've found them all for around £115.

I believe I'll also need a decent soundcard as well to get the best out of it all. The soundcards I'm considering is the Soundblaster Z or an Asus DX. Which I've found for around £50/60.

All together they'd be within my budget. I don't really want to spend more than £150-£200.

Anyway I'm hoping someone with experience would please give me their thoughts, guidance and opinions. For example on what equipment or setup they'd suggest.

Aug 8, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #2 of 7
  I've been looking to upgrade to some good quality headphones. I'm buying them primarily to play competitive CSGO with, but I wouldn't mind using them for other things if they sounded significantly better than my current sound setup (which is currently low-end) as I listen to a lot of music and watch a lot of films. In the future I might also like to upgrade my speakers to a Corsair SP2500 as well.
HPs that I've mostly been considering have been the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro and the AKG K612 Pro. Although I've also read recommendations for the Sennheiser 558. I've found them all for around £115.
I believe I'll also need a decent sound card as well to get the best out of it all. The soundcards I'm considering is the Soundblaster Z or an Asus DX. Which I've found for around £50/60.
All together they'd be within my budget. I don't really want to spend more than £150-£200.
Anyway I'm hoping someone with experience would please give me their thoughts, guidance and opinions. For example on what equipment or setup they'd suggest.

I'm an Xonar fan, but would rather have the Sound Blaster Z, as the SB-Z is better at driving headphones.
The DT990 is more of a "movie theater" like sound, the HD558 has a very slightly subdued sound.
Part of me would like you to get the AKG K612 Pro and post a review on it.

Aug 8, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #3 of 7
I'd recommend the SBZ simply because I prefer the SBX surround processing to the Dolby Headphone.  It's also got a better amp and DAC.

Headphone-wise, all of those are fine.  The K612 is very well-regarding for competitive gaming, moreso than the DT, which is more of an all-arounder.  The Senns are supposed to be nice too, but AKG has a better reputation for competitive gaming, I think because of soundstage.

Aug 10, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #6 of 7
  bump

I've some deals on the dt990 and K612 Pro. Just wondering if anyone had any views before I order.

The DT990s are full bass and treble, which slightly over shadows the mids, but the mids are clear.
So to me the DT990s have a "movie theater" like sound.

Aug 10, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #7 of 7
The DT990s are full bass and treble, which slightly over shadows the mids, but the mids are clear.
So to me the DT990s have a "movie theater" like sound.

In contrast, the K612 Pros will be more neutral in response. One way to think of it would be that the K612 Pros are more similar to the DT880s than the DT990s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back