Recommendations for full sized sealed cans.
Apr 25, 2008 at 5:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

cjcerny

New Head-Fier
Folks, I'd like opinions and recommendations for a quality pair of full sized sealed cans. I would be using them with my PC and my iPod in an environment with a decent amount of background noise, so an isolation of 10-15db is a must along with low impedence and a native 3.5mm connector would be a bonus. I'm mainly a rock listener and I already have Atrio M5's and Grado SR-225s that I use for IEM and open headphone listening. I was thinking something like the Senn 280Pro or Ultrasone HFI-780 would be a good choice. I love my rock and I don't mind listening sacrificing some flatness and/or accuracy to get a set of cans with an "exciting" presence. Thoughts?

Apr 25, 2008 at 5:52 PM Post #2 of 8
i have read that the Sennheiser HD25-1 II is pretty good but kind of overpriced. it has good isolation, good sound, low imp. , a nice, durable steel cord and portability.

Apr 25, 2008 at 5:56 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by cjcerny /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Folks, I'd like opinions and recommendations for a quality pair of full sized sealed cans. I would be using them with my PC and my iPod in an environment with a decent amount of background noise, so an isolation of 10-15db is a must along with low impedence and a native 3.5mm connector would be a bonus. I'm mainly a rock listener and I already have Atrio M5's and Grado SR-225s that I use for IEM and open headphone listening. I was thinking something like the Senn 280Pro or Ultrasone HFI-780 would be a good choice. I love my rock and I don't mind listening sacrificing some flatness and/or accuracy to get a set of cans with an "exciting" presence. Thoughts?

check out the big thread on the hfi-780, you'll learn it has a long burn in time, but I guess once it is [burnt in], it's a great phone. As for the excitement factor, I haven't listened to them so I can't really attest, but I found the sr225s to be "exiting" with an amp, do you just want a closed can?

Apr 25, 2008 at 6:03 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by acegazda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
check out the big thread on the hfi-780, you'll learn it has a long burn in time, but I guess once it is [burnt in], it's a great phone. As for the excitement factor, I haven't listened to them so I can't really attest, but I found the sr225s to be "exiting" with an amp, do you just want a closed can?

I would prefer to not have to use an amp if possible, but I'm also open to the idea.

Apr 25, 2008 at 6:09 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by woopididi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have read that the Sennheiser HD25-1 II is pretty good but kind of overpriced. it has good isolation, good sound, low imp. , a nice, durable steel cord and portability.

[size=medium]
The OP asked for full sized - as in circumaural or fully around-the-ear phones. The Senn HD25-1 I/II are supraural , meaning they rest on the ears themselves.
cool.gif
[/size]

Apr 25, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jap /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[size=medium]
The OP asked for full sized - as in circumaural or fully around-the-ear phones. The Senn HD25-1 I/II are supraural , meaning they rest on the ears themselves.
cool.gif
[/size]

Thanks for the clarification. It is indeed circum-aural cans that I am soliciting opinions on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back