Recommendations for first IEMs (Chi-fi or otherwise) for my new Questyle M15
Oct 1, 2023 at 8:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

music1st

New Head-Fier
Long time audiophile looking for a neutral balanced IEM to mate with my just ordered Questyle M15.
Emotional connection to the music a must, but not colored.

Oct 1, 2023 at 8:26 AM Post #2 of 5
What budget? There's lots of good ones at all price points if you want the fun factor. Truthear Crinnacle Zero Blue or Simgot EA500 are ones where you can't go wrong, I have both. I'd buy either again or give them to relatives (just sent a Zero blue to my niece who is a singer and she loves them).

Oct 1, 2023 at 9:40 AM Post #3 of 5
My usual recommendation is Etymotic, as long as you’re open to trying deep insertion.

Cheap: ER2XR, medium: ER4XR, pricey: EVO

Oct 1, 2023 at 10:02 PM Post #5 of 5
By balanced do you you mean a balanced plug, or a balanced frequency response, or a balanced armature driver?

I'm fond of my Etymotic ER3XR, but I haven't heard the ER2XR, which has a dynamic driver instead of the balanced armature drivers in the ER3 and ER4. I tend to prefer the timbre of dynamic drivers but the deal on the ER3XR was too good at the time...

The Etys have a nonstandard cable with a 3.5mm plug, so if you're looking for a balanced connection, you should find something else and probably get an aftermarket balanced cable. Most IEMs use 3.5mm, not balanced, because they don't need much power.

And if you do get Etys, make sure to try the (included) gray foamies instead of the triple-flange tips they're always photographed with. I could never enjoy the double or triple flanges, but the foamies are very comfortable.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back