Recommendations for Etymotic hf5 to on/over ear upgrade
Oct 31, 2013 at 4:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

saps101

New Head-Fier
Hi All, 
I just signed up to Head-Fi org been looking at this forum for over a year. Decided to by Etymotic HF5's based on reviews from this site. I love hf5 but i'm starting to get sore ears and apparently some bad wax buildup from over use. 
I have been thinking to upgrade to onear/overears but not sure on what to upgrade too. 
looking for something in a similar price range to the Hf5. 

Primarily listen to music at work on the PC or my galaxy s3. Music ranges from house/dance, rap/rnb, instrumental Inlcuding movie themes and rock. 

I'm really not sure what to get, hopefully theres a suggestion of light headphone not much fatigue when wearing them and great sounding.

I've been looking around and reading the reviews for the past few days and getting a bit confused as to what i should be getting been narrowing the list down to 

1. AKG K240 MKII 

2. Grado SR80i 

3. Audio-Technica ATH-M50

I'm not sure how the above sound compared to the Etymotic hf5 or if we can compare IEM to on/over ear type. 

Oct 31, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #2 of 6
Those are 3 VERY different sounding 'phones. I've briefly heard all 3 of those, but I haven't worn them for extended periods. I also have the Ety HF5 and listen to them all the time. Personally, I don't think any of those 3 sound as good as the HF5. YMMV.

Oct 31, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #3 of 6
I was reading they all different representatiosns of the mids and high and the n the m50 is best down low.

I do like the skindstage of the hf5 and its neutralness but wearing them for extended periods most days gets a bit uncomfortable and then n theres the wax build up issue. Was partially deaf in one ear for a week. Hopefully theres something similar or at least worthwhile upgrading too.

Ive only th hf5 for a year or so now still like new its a shame.

Oct 31, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #4 of 6
I was reading they all different representatiosns of the mids and high and the n the m50 is best down low.

I do like the skindstage of the hf5 and its neutralness but wearing them for extended periods most days gets a bit uncomfortable and then n theres the wax build up issue. Was partially deaf in one ear for a week. Hopefully theres something similar or at least worthwhile upgrading too.

Ive only th hf5 for a year or so now still like new its a shame.

"best down low" is perhaps relative in this case. I found the M50 somewhat one-noted in the bass - not much definition. Plenty of pepole think the M50 is fabulous, so YMMV. The other two I found bass-light - especially the Grado, which I simply found thin sounding. I listen exclusively to rock, which is supposed to be the Grado sweet spot, but they just weren't for me. Of the three, I did like the AKG 240 the best - however, I don't think the ones I listened to were the latest Mk II version, so I probably shouldn't say anything about the 240 Mk II.

I'm not being very helpful - I'm sorry about that. Quite frankly, I'm really not sure what I would buy in that price range. I'm probably being so critical because that's the same price range I would *like* to shop in - but haven't found what I want either... :xf_eek:

Nov 7, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #6 of 6
billybob_jcv, how much sound leakage is there in the grado's? Would they be too lound ina small office to wear daily? I work ina small office with 4 people around within a few meters. Im hooing the leaked sound isnt too loud from the open grado's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back