Recommendations for Entry-Level 'Rock' Headphone
Nov 9, 2008 at 7:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

bmwpowere36m3

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm looking for some recommendations as to a pair of entry-level headphones mostly used for Rock, Metal, & and some Grunge. I know asking questions like this you'll get a million answers, but there are just so many choices. I had the same questions before when I was first getting into Head-Fi, but I was interested in IEM's.

So far all my experience has been with IEM's, my first Shure E2's and currently Head-Direct RE2's. THe Shure being my first, sounding like the best thing since sliced bread. Looking back they were "fun" phones; warm, bassy, lots of mid-range, but they lacked clarity and the bass was muddy.

Now I'm using the RE2's and I really like them and since I've amped them with my modified CMoY they really shine; slightly warm/analytical, tight bass (but lacks quantity), and the highs are not overpowering (no simbilance)... overall very tight and with a wide soundstage.

I guess I'm looking for the same in a set of headphones (comparable to RE2's), but with maybe with some more bass quantity (not sacrificing quality/tightness).

My current setup includes an iModded Mini to a modified CMoY. I'm looking for the best price/quality ratio and probably open headphones since they sound better, not really looking for isolation. A headphone that benefits from amping and will mainly used @ home and not portable (I'd hate to wear those things things in public, that's what IEM's are for
tongue.gif
)

I wouldn't mind buying used and my price is ~$150 MAX, thanks for any help.

*Edit* also planning on using this with a Millet SS Hybrid amp, and added a list of my musical preference below

Nov 9, 2008 at 7:53 PM Post #4 of 24
2005 DT770 (Consumer), they are a little light on bass, but it has great bite and impact, astonishing details, grado like treble tipped signature but with excellent comfort and some serious soundstage.

Nov 9, 2008 at 7:55 PM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2005 DT770 (Consumer), they are a little light on bass, but it has great bite and impact, astonishing details, grado like treble tipped signature but with excellent comfort and some serious soundstage.

x2 on the DT770 consumer edition.

Nov 9, 2008 at 11:22 PM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2 on the DT770 consumer edition.

Only problem is now they are $200 on Amazon and they require a much better amp than a CMOY. The OP could find them under $150 used, but he would still have to spend a good chunk of cash on a amp.. Other than that I love my DT770s
beyersmile.png

Nov 10, 2008 at 2:13 AM Post #9 of 24
x2 on the Grado SR-60. The Sr-80 has even better bass while still being under $100. Also, the Sennheiser HD580 is good for rock, imo. They are not made anymore, but can be found on the FS forums here for about $150. The amp you have should drive them pretty well, and they leave a lot of room to upgrade.

Nov 10, 2008 at 3:46 AM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by bmwpowere36m3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about DT880's, too light on mid's and impact?

I listen to:

* Metallica, BLS, Sabbath, AC/DC, Seether
* Alice in Chains, Pantera, Deftones, In Flames
* Led Zep, Pink Floyd, GnR, Rolling Stones

I listen to those too. Some headphones need a good amp to get them going, where other headphones can sound better with a lesser amp like yours. I suggest going with easier to drive headphones because of your amp, and post a thread in the for sale forum titled something like "WANTED: Easy to Drive Rock Cans < $150".

Nov 10, 2008 at 3:55 AM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listen to those too. Some headphones need a good amp to get them going, where other headphones can sound better with a lesser amp like yours. I suggest going with easier to drive headphones because of your amp, and post a thread in the for sale forum titled something like "WANTED: Easy to Drive Rock Cans < $150".

I'm currently planning on building a Millet "Starving Student" Hybrid, so what about that combo?

Nov 10, 2008 at 4:10 AM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by bmwpowere36m3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm currently planning on building a Millet "Starving Student" Hybrid, so what about that combo?

IMO, that question deserves its own thread. Synergy is important. Be sure to state up front what source you will be using, that you will be using that amp, that you are open to new or used headphones, your budget for this purchase, and any other preferences. I still suggest also posting in the for sale forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back