Recommendations for decent over-ear headphones under $200 (mostly for R&B, hip hop, indie, and electronic)
Dec 4, 2013 at 2:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

anonymousgeek

New Head-Fier
Hello!
I've just started getting into headphones, so truthfully I don't know which ones are good. I'm planning on getting a pair of over ear headphones that are under $200 (or around $100 or less on Amazon). I'm having a hard time trying to decide..any recommendations? I'm also open to other headphones that aren't on my list. :)

What I'm looking for:
Not too bass heavy (some of the Beats I tried had overpowering bass)
Good music clarity (less rock; more hip hop, electronic, indie, etc.)
Decent design (unless the sound quality makes up for it, like the sony or shure)
Comfort 
Durability (not easily or quickly breakable ones)

my options so far:
Sony V6/MDR7506 (I've heard that it has decent, but boring sound[since it's for studio use]. Any comments?)
Shure SRH440
House of Marley Rise Ups (It has some good reviews, but it also has a few really, really bad ones about sound quality. Any comments?)

Thanks! :)

Dec 4, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #2 of 8
What sources are you plugging the headphones into?

Dec 5, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #6 of 8
Dec 5, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #7 of 8
  Check out the new JVC HA-S680, $81, shipped from Japan.

Oooh, thanks for the recommendation. :) I looked into them a bit, and I apparently they have bass ports. Does that mean I can turn the bass down too? And also, the sound is powered by carbon nanotube diaphragm, but apparently carbon nanotubes can be harmful to health (http://www.virlab.virginia.edu/nanoscience_class/lecture_notes/Lecture_14_Materials/Asbestos_CNT/Nature%20Nano%20-%20CNTs%20in%20mice.pdf). Are there any headphones worth looking into that don't have carbon nanotube diaphragm technology? Sorry that I'm being so specific..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back