Recommendations for dealing with the cube farm ills...
Feb 4, 2008 at 2:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

dviswa

100+ Head-Fier
Hi Guys,

I work in a typical cube farm. At times it gets noisy. I have a Beyer Dynamic 250-80 at work, good music can sometimes be distracting, specially when I need to focus. I am sure many of you face similar situations. What do you do?

Listen to some CDs with those non-distracting, soothing, relaxing sounds maybe? There are a lot of them to choose from, not all of which are good. Which ones are?

Thanks,
Dinesh

Feb 6, 2008 at 12:58 AM Post #3 of 12
Lute, guitar and instrumental folk work for me. Magnatune.com has some nice Renaissance and lute podcasts. Ambient music by Steve Roach works sometimes, but sometimes I just drift off with the music. Music with a simple, familiar, but not overly complex structure seems to work best. A few Bach keyboard selections can usually get me focused and able to "lose" the background noise. A co-worker swears by Flatt and Scruggs to block intrusive conversations! Another co-worker enjoyed the Gregorian chant selections I sent her.

Feb 6, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #5 of 12
call me crazy....but I really get into early Coltrane and Ornette Coleman.

Pat Metheny's "Off Ramp" is another ambient classic.

Marsh/Tristano's "Intuition" is also good

Feb 7, 2008 at 3:51 PM Post #6 of 12
Thanks a lot guys. I have a quite bit of music to check out. I am checking out the renaissance music on magnatune.

Next up, I will check out Brian Eno. Seems to have some good feedback on amazon.

Does anybody have any recommendations on CDs that are specifically for relaxing - you know, the sound of water, birds, etc.

Feb 7, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #7 of 12
manaox2,

I am not yet into trance, any suggestions of where to start?

Feb 7, 2008 at 4:05 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like ambient or trance.

So do I.
Great background music for work.

Feb 7, 2008 at 4:59 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by dviswa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
manaox2,

I am not yet into trance, any suggestions of where to start?

For ambient, you can try mew. Google Music: Mew

DJ Tiesto and Paul Van Dyke are more widely known for their quality trance. I love Tiesto's Elements of Life (especially "in the dark"). I also like Gabriel and Dresden Present Motorcycle - As the Rush Comes and Andian - Beautiful Things, these have female vocals in them.

Maybe you should see if you can try out Ingo Kunzi's Nirwana album. Its becoming well known as being a trance masterpiece.

Feb 7, 2008 at 6:15 PM Post #10 of 12
Searched for Ayla Nirwana.
Geez, $70 for a CD on Amazon? Similar results on ebay as well. What's going on? CD is "out-of-print" so to say, I guess and people are quoting whatever they feel like?

Feb 7, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by dviswa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Searched for Ayla Nirwana.
Geez, $70 for a CD on Amazon? Similar results on ebay as well. What's going on? CD is "out-of-print" so to say, I guess and people are quoting whatever they feel like?

ah... sorry, I don't own that one, I cited it from last.fm and others. I own Tiesto and a lot of my trance type stuff comes from various artist cds.

Feb 8, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #12 of 12
Milkweg,
My Music for Airports got shipped
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back