Recommendations for Concert-Goin' Plugs?
Oct 7, 2008 at 6:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Inkmo

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey guys. So I'm planning on attending some concerts soon and I realized that the old hearos I've been keeping in an altoids tin are nowhere to be found. I figure this might be a good time to get some new plugs. I hear that the ones Etys makes that have the same tip as the ER-6 are pretty good, but I also see that there are bunch of different models.

Any recommendations?
------------------------
EDIT*EDIT*EDIT*EDIT*
------------------------
So my ER-20s came today. Haven't tried to see how they 'sound' yet, but I'll let you know. I might have to compare them with Hearos at the next concert I go to.

Actually, I saw the Presidents of the United States of America here in Houston the other night and used Hearos at the show. They worked pretty well, I thought, but my friend I was with took hers out halfway through the show because she thought they darkened the sound up too much. Well, she said they made them seem "all quiet" meaning I think the high end was getting drowned out in the bass. Her hearing is already pretty bad anyways (she's been mostly deaf in one ear since birth).

Oh yeah, so with the ER-20, how deep am I supposed to try and insert these things? As I'm doing it now, I can see most of the stem sticking out of my ear. Also, I confess that I got these because I'm trying to assess whether the ER-6 will be comfortable enough to buy. I've never liked IEMs, but my experience only extends to the bud type 'phones like the Panasonic RP-HJE50 and the Marshmallows.

Oct 7, 2008 at 6:40 PM Post #2 of 18
Standard foam earplugs cut frequencies at a very uneven level. They tend to attenuate a lot of the highs and not so much of the lows. Not so good if you want to enjoy music.

The Ety earplugs attenuate evenly across the frequency spectrum and would be much better for concert use. They only attenuate 20 dB but that should be enough unless your standing front row at AC/DC.

Etymotic Research, Inc. - ER•20 High Fidelity Earplugs

The only issue is figuring out which size you need.

EDIT: 500th post!

Oct 7, 2008 at 6:52 PM Post #3 of 18
etymotic ER20, seconded.

get them, and wear them.
if you go to some serious metal or noise shows you might want something which will block a bit more sound than the ER20. I have been to 50+ shows in ER20s over the past few years, they are great.

Oct 7, 2008 at 6:53 PM Post #4 of 18
The ety's musician's earplugs a need?
Well - for a professional musician and sound engineer it should be a must.
Most of them have their hearing quite damaged so the significant high frequency rolloff could make their work almost impossible, so they rather don't protect their ears.

And this is the point (doesn't apply to unamplified - classical / jazz / folk music):
Most venue's sound engineers tend to TURN UP the highs. If not by themselves, the musicians, already a bit deaf will want such a sound. The audience will want it, too.
So basically for anyone with good ears the sound would be harsh and bright.
Especially considering that many venues have a (much) less-than perfect PA system.

Moreover, it's the HIGH frequencies that damage the hearing the most.

If there's a sound kit in the venue, it's very likely that the sound will be overly bright as the sound engineers need to put the vocals and other instruments up in the mix. Mostly achieved by a mid-high bump and overall increase in volume.

Oct 7, 2008 at 7:01 PM Post #5 of 18
So you should be free to use any hearing protection earplugs.

I found a little trick to plug your ears quite comfortably:

Pour some water on strips of facial tissues and put those into your ears. The size of tissue put into your ears depends on how deep you want to shove them up your ears. If the sound system isn't ground-shaking, you can sacrifice just a little bit the tissue to tame the harshness in HF that especially damages your ears.

It might take some time for you to get used and you lose a little of the highest details. Anyway, there's most of information in that spectrum is quite incorrect in a usual pub concert anyway.

Oct 7, 2008 at 7:02 PM Post #6 of 18
Moreover, the tamed highs should reduce ear fatigue (if that just matters on a party)....

Oct 7, 2008 at 7:24 PM Post #7 of 18
I have a pair of the ety 20s and they hardly do enough for me for live music

I am looking into a pair of custom plugs from Etymotic or Westone. Leaning towards Westone just based off of my disappointment with the er20s

Oct 7, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #9 of 18
I've used the er20s at a few concerts and for many other purposes but for most of this year I have used standard foam earplugs instead for their supreme attenuation.
The er20 plugs do cut the sound well across all frequencies but they don't isolate enough for me really.

Foam earplugs are also more comfortable and better fitting.

I reckon it's possible to re-use (sensibly! short-term) some "disposable" ear plugs as well. If your ears are clean and the plugs remain clean it can't be too different to stuffing er20s in your ears.
I am really cheap I know.

Oct 7, 2008 at 11:10 PM Post #11 of 18
I 've had a set of the old ER-16dB plugs for years now and they're marvellous, I keep them on my keychain all the time and the number of times when I've ended up somewhere loud and been very glad they were there is now innumerable.

Get yourself a set of the new -20s, which must be about 4 better than mine. Great product.

Oct 8, 2008 at 12:31 PM Post #13 of 18
My ER-20s have saved me numerous times. I too keep them on my keychain, and I am not at all hesitant to whip them out should the need arise.

Oct 8, 2008 at 12:59 PM Post #14 of 18
has anyone used foamies (like those from the ety er4p) with the er-20s?

Oct 8, 2008 at 2:22 PM Post #15 of 18
^I have ER4P and ER20

the way the tips attach are different on the two, so ER4P foamie tips couldn't be interchanged with the ER20 triflange tips...
with some modding though I am sure something could be arranged, good idea I wonder how it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back