Recommendations for computer speakers with headphone out?
Oct 30, 2010 at 5:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

nxmehta

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a pair of 2.0 speakers for my PC.  I would really really like them to have a headphone out jack.  I would rather not deal with manually switching between cans and speakers, plus my PC is not in a place where I can easily get to the headphone jack.  I want to plug my headphones into the speakers and have them auto-mute.  I'd say my budget is around $500.

If there was some sort of little magic box that received audio from the PC (digital would be preferable) and output audio to both speakers and headphones (amped), selectable by a switch, I would consider using that.  I guess it would essentially be a DAC + headphone amp + switch.

So far it looks like the M-Audio AV 40's and the Alesis M1 Active 520 USB's are options for monitors with headphone jacks.  All the other hifi setups and studio monitors (Audioengine, Swans, KRK, etc.) do not have headphone out, which is kind of strange to me.  Either everyone has their PC on their desk or no one listens to headphones with these speakers?

I'm not a 'basshead' but I would definitely like punchy bass and good low frequency response.  I'm leaning towards the 520's as apparently M-Audio has some quality control problems.

Any other recommendations?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back