Recommendations for computer speakers + DAC?
Jan 15, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #17 of 21
  Hi everyone. Long time lurker, first time poster. I used to have some M-Audio speakers, but those recently started smoking and stopped working :frowning2:   So it's time to buy a new set, and I was thinking of changing my setup, including getting a DAC/AMP for it. My total budget is ~$1000, but it would be nice if the whole setup could be had for less than that. My constraints are:

1.) Want a good set of speakers that will last long (the M-Audios didn't last long at all)
2.) Also be able to plug in headphones if I want to switch from speaker output to headphone output.
3.) Primary use case is gaming, but also listening to music and enjoying it
4.) Nice bonus if the audio works under Linux

I was thinking of getting a DAC/AMP and maybe the AudioEngine A2+ or A5+, based on what I've read here, but I'm really not sure. Are there other recommendations?

Along with the previous suggestions, maybe the Aperion Allaire Bluetooth powered speakers would interest you.  http://www.aperionaudio.com/speakers/speakers-by-series/allaire/allaire-bluetooth  Despite the name, you don't need to use them via bluetooth.  One problem, they don't meet your need for headphone output though.

They have 3.5mm and optical input along with bluetooth w/ apt-x.  They also have a subwoofer output, should you decide to add one.  They come with all the cables you need, speaker wire, optical, 3.5mm & RCA-to-3.5mm...except maybe the sub cable, I think.  Pretty nice for $400.  Their page has a link to some pro reviews, or here's what comes up on google https://www.google.com/search?q=aperion+allaire+bluetooth+review&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8.  Very positive reviews.  I've been wanting to try them but already have a pair of Ascend 340SE's (big brother to the 170SE's mentioned above) and a Paradigm Monitor 5.1 setup.  The Ascend's are great, BTW, if you decide to go that route.

EDIT:  Forgot to mention they have free shipping both ways (should you decide to return them) and a 60-day in-home trial period.

Second EDIT:  Need to correct myself...They don't have analog RCA inputs but come with RCA-to-3.5mm cable.

Jan 16, 2015 at 2:11 AM Post #18 of 21
Thanks for the suggestion redsandvb, those speakers do look very tempting (and they're very aesthetically pleasing) but I've decided on the JBL ones. One question I have left for everyone is: are there any accessories that are still needed? E.g., I read on some threads that you need to elevate speakers so the tweeter is level with your ears. How much of a difference does this make? Is any stand/elevation mechanism as good as any other? Are there any extra cables I should purchase with the speakers (e.g., will they come with appropriate speaker wire or not).

Thanks to everyone for their help :)

Jan 16, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #19 of 21
Yes. Typically, best placement is to have the tweeters aimed at your ears, either through raising them up or angling them up.

Powered studio monitors typically do not come with cables, IME.

Jan 16, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #20 of 21
I use the Audioengine D1 and the A5+ speaker combo on my desktop system and it sounds very good for the money. It gets used to play music only, I am not a gamer so I can't comment on that aspect of it.

Jan 17, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #21 of 21
  Sorry about thread jacking but have any one heard Chane A1rx-c? I heard they are pretty decent for the price.
I am also considering this speaker with the set-up cel4145 recommended above.

That's the speakers I have right now.  Except I'm running the new Emotiva Flex amp(new version of the Sherbourn pa2-50) which has quite a few additional features.  The differences between the emotiva a100x amp are:

- better left/right channel volume at all volumes, even whisper volumes where need to 1 - 2 inches away to hear clearly.
- fine control of volume in small steps
- can be setup to go into standby when audio there is incoming after 10 - 15 minutes
- can be setup to turn on when an audio signal is incoming with main switch turned on
- has two audio rca inputs
- auto switches between the inputs depending on incoming signals and goes to input 1 if both inputs have signal
- volume is controlled by remote or up/down volume buttons on the face.

I like the Chane A1rx-c, but being the first bookshelf speakers I ever used it may not be as good as I describe it compared if pros heard it.  They are used in Desktop computer setup.  I think it sounds good enough for me coming from Logitech z-2300 speakers with a sub.  There is enough bass, but I'm not a bass head.  The planar tweet sound great and high end is clear/detailed.  Steve Guttenberg likes them, I don't really know to much about him, but he seems like a reputable reviewer.
http://www.cnet.com/news/the-149-chane-a1rx-c-speaker-is-almost-too-good-to-be-true/
  Thanks for the suggestion redsandvb, those speakers do look very tempting (and they're very aesthetically pleasing) but I've decided on the JBL ones. One question I have left for everyone is: are there any accessories that are still needed? E.g., I read on some threads that you need to elevate speakers so the tweeter is level with your ears. How much of a difference does this make? Is any stand/elevation mechanism as good as any other? Are there any extra cables I should purchase with the speakers (e.g., will they come with appropriate speaker wire or not).

Thanks to everyone for their help :)

If you have any speakers at home try listening to them from above and below the speakers.  You can definitely hear a difference in high end where it may sound muffled or reduced.  I'm cheap so I used EVA foam blocks from something my brother sells.  Do you have model listing for the JBLs you plan to buy, so we can suggest cables?

Massdrop.com has JBL LSR305 for $119.99 + free shipping for each speaker for 8 more days.  It seems like a decent deal if you want to buy now.  I believe there is only tax in California for purchases from Massdrop, maybe New Jersey too since I got an order from there before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back