Recommendations for computer speakers + DAC?
Jan 13, 2015 at 1:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

kikoeru

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone. Long time lurker, first time poster. I used to have some M-Audio speakers, but those recently started smoking and stopped working :frowning2:   So it's time to buy a new set, and I was thinking of changing my setup, including getting a DAC/AMP for it. My total budget is ~$1000, but it would be nice if the whole setup could be had for less than that. My constraints are:

1.) Want a good set of speakers that will last long (the M-Audios didn't last long at all)
2.) Also be able to plug in headphones if I want to switch from speaker output to headphone output.
3.) Primary use case is gaming, but also listening to music and enjoying it
4.) Nice bonus if the audio works under Linux

I was thinking of getting a DAC/AMP and maybe the AudioEngine A2+ or A5+, based on what I've read here, but I'm really not sure. Are there other recommendations?

Jan 13, 2015 at 2:29 AM Post #2 of 21
If you are going to spend that much, why not get a receiver or amp and passive speakers? I think it would give you much more flexibility for component selection and later upgrades.

Jan 14, 2015 at 2:59 AM Post #4 of 21
  I hadn't considered that. Do you have recommendations for what to get in a receiver/amp and passive speakers?

If you went for a receiver, I would say to go for a Denon A/V receiver.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/avreceiver/home-audio/receivers-amps/home-theater-receivers/1.html?&r=54b58575

But I would think for something a little more practical, then receiver and passive speakers

Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card (used, $140).

And a pair of studio monitors
Emotiva AirMotiv 5s ($350) or JBL LSR305 ($290) or LSR308 ($440)
https://emotiva.com/products/powered-monitors/airmotiv-5s
http://www.amazon.com/JBL-Professional-LSR305-Studio-Monitor/dp/B00DUKP37C

I've seen talk about Linux drivers for audio chip-sets like the CMI8788 (used on the Essence STX), talked about as far back as 2008.

Jan 14, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #5 of 21
I hadn't considered that. Do you have recommendations for what to get in a receiver/amp and passive speakers?

HSU Research HB-1 or Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE (around $325 shipped)

How about a power amp: Emotiva min-x a-100 amp ($200)

Schiit Modi and Magni 2 Uber) ($250 + shipping, I think) or Audio-GD NFB-15

Then save a little more for a good subwoofer :)

Jan 15, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #6 of 21
Sorry about thread jacking but have any one heard Chane A1rx-c? I heard they are pretty decent for the price.
I am also considering this speaker with the set-up cel4145 recommended above.

Jan 15, 2015 at 12:35 AM Post #7 of 21
I'm not a fan of Chane as a company, so I never recommend them myself. The speakers would be good if there were different owners of the company. LOL

Jan 15, 2015 at 1:13 AM Post #8 of 21
Which one don't you like, Craig or Jon? I don't know either of them except from forums. I remember Craig from the AVS forums way before he started his subwoofer company.

Jan 15, 2015 at 1:28 AM Post #9 of 21
PurpleAngel, thanks for the recommendations. I already have an ASUS Essence STX in my computer, do you think that's sufficient as far as dac/amps go? The one annoying about it is that the headphone jack is in the back, and the cord always seems to get caught on stuff, but maybe some cable management ties could help.

cel4145, FYI, I got an Audio-GD NFB-15 for work  (very noisy environment, have to wear headphones) and love it :)   When you say, "then save for a good sufwoofer" how would that work? Do most speakers have an extra output meant for subwoofers? I've only ever seen subwoofers sold as part of a speaker package, so there were dedicated slots for that hookup. Also, I live in an apartment, and I don't think my neighbors would appreciate too much extra bass :)

Jan 15, 2015 at 3:21 AM Post #11 of 21
cel4145, FYI, I got an Audio-GD NFB-15 for work  (very noisy environment, have to wear headphones) and love it :)   When you say, "then save for a good sufwoofer" how would that work? Do most speakers have an extra output meant for subwoofers? I've only ever seen subwoofers sold as part of a speaker package, so there were dedicated slots for that hookup. Also, I live in an apartment, and I don't think my neighbors would appreciate too much extra bass :)

You need a subwoofer with line in and line out. So pre-amp out to the sub amp, and then the line out from the sub amp to the speakers :)

Jan 15, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #12 of 21
To add the subwoofer to the Emotiva, you could use a subwoofer like this: http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sub-1000-10-100-watt-powered-subwoofer--300-628

You would connected the speaker out of the Emotiva to the subwoofer speaker in, then from the speaker out of the subwoofer to the passive bookshelf speakers. You would set the crossover point and gain of the subwoofer using the controls on the back of the subwoofer.

Jan 15, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #13 of 21
  PurpleAngel, thanks for the recommendations. I already have an ASUS Essence STX in my computer, do you think that's sufficient as far as dac/amps go? The one annoying about it is that the headphone jack is in the back, and the cord always seems to get caught on stuff, but maybe some cable management ties could help.

I think the Essence STX is sufficient, I used one for a few years.
(until I swapped it for a NFB-15.32).

Jan 15, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #14 of 21
  Also, PurpleAngel, do you know how the Emotiva 4s compare to the 5s? It looks like there's no ETA on their website when the 5s will be back in stock.

Can't say how the Emotiva 4s compare to the Emotiva 5s.
But the JBL LSR305s seem to be well liked.

Jan 15, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #15 of 21
To add the subwoofer to the Emotiva, you could use a subwoofer like this: http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sub-1000-10-100-watt-powered-subwoofer--300-628

Good point. I forgot the mini-x had that.

Which one don't you like, Craig or Jon? I don't know either of them except from forums. I remember Craig from the AVS forums way before he started his subwoofer company.

Jon used to seem OK before Chane was formed. Now he has adopted Craig's tactics when it comes to selling subwoofers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back