Recommendations for Closed Headphones with Decent Isolation
Aug 11, 2016 at 10:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

TeskR

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

Due to sharing a computer room with one of my room mates (who can be quite vocal when playing video games) I am in need of some good closed back headphones with atleast average isolation.

I don't mind being able to hear moderate levels of noise through them as long as most of the grating sound is attenuated.

My current headphone arsenal is HE400i and Oppo PM-3, I love both of these, however for obvious reasons I cant really use the HE400i unless I have the room to myself, and despite loving the PM-3s sound and isolation, I think my right ear is just slightly too big for the right hand side and so they can get uncomfortable after a few hours of wearing (I originally bought them for portable use).

I really like what I have heard about the TH-X00 line but I believe they may be too open from many reports and not isolate quite enough. I don't need isolation on par with the PM-3, but enough to block out some of the noise and allow me to crank my music up.)

My budget is up to around 1100 AUD (~750-800 USD) and current contenders are Beyer DT1770 and Beyer T5p.2, but really need some suggestions at other good options.

I listen to a wide range of different music, going through phases of listening to mostly punk/emo, through to orchestral scores and EDM. My usual sonic preference is less emphasis on treble but I am not sold on any sound signature yet.

Cheers for any suggestions and help.

Aug 12, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #2 of 3
It sounds like ultimate sound stage is less of an importance to you, that is good, because sound stage is always going to be a little less with a closed back headphone. I too like my privacy and not broadcasting what I am listening to the public lol.

You could get the Audio Technica AT W5000 https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-W5000-Audiophile-Closed-Headphones/dp/B000PGAPR2/ref=sr_1_1?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1471004652&sr=1-1&keywords=headphone&refinements=p_89%3AAudio-Technica

Or the Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7BK, they will have less bass due to a smaller driver, but they will be considerably cheaper. https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-MSR7BK-SonicPro-High-Resolution-Headphones/dp/B00PEU9CFA/ref=sr_1_11?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1471004652&sr=1-11&keywords=headphone&refinements=p_89%3AAudio-Technica

Sunnheiser seems to cater more towards sound stage in their higher quality line, so thats why you usually only see open back headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back