Recommendations for closed cans £100-150
Sep 20, 2017 at 5:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

silk186

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for recommendations for a pair of cans that can do it all: movies, games and music.
I want to enjoy solid bass in movies, games and music but I also want to hear crisp dialogue in movies.
I used to have the old school sony DJ cans and now a pair of buds (Shure SE215). For the home I tried a set of logitech 2.1 speakers and they were terrible. I upgraded to a Microlab FC360 2.1 system which has much greater clarity.

Before I wanted the Audio Technica ATH-M50x but they don't seem to be recommended any more.
The Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO range also look nice and reviews well.
I know some Sennheiser like the HD 518 and 598 but I can't handle the look of them.

So, what are the new go to closed cans recommendations for 2017?

Sep 20, 2017 at 6:43 PM Post #2 of 11
Soundmagic HP150 or HP151.
(I own the HP200)

Sep 20, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #3 of 11
You can always go for the M40X. Lots of members here prefer it over the 50X

Sep 20, 2017 at 9:12 PM Post #4 of 11
Consider the Brainwavz HM5/Yoga/Nvx SPT100 clones. For a closed back can they have excellent soundstage, one of the better ones actually. Of all my headphones they are the only closed backed ones I have liked for movies...and if you are brave enough to take off the backs of the cups and listen to them open backed , they are my FAVORITES for movies ( I actually made a set of grills for mine and used them as my movie headphones until I gave them to my girlfriend) They are good for music of course, on the neutral side in terms of SQ so not super bassy compared to some closed back cans, but not lacking in my opinion...it's good, detailed,accurate bass. Clarity is excellent.
and COMFORTABLE....one of the most comfortable cans you will find, especially if you go for the NVX version they are the least expensive and the most 'plush' feeling of all the variants.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2017 at 9:20 PM Post #5 of 11
NVX are $50 on ebay....that's a great deal.
edit: I did a little looking into that price...they are open box sets from Sonicelectronix...so I'm guessing people bought them and returned them and they are being sold as open box....still a really good price (it seems like it has their usual return policy and warranty)

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2017 at 3:26 AM Post #6 of 11
Beyerdynamic DT770 are a solid performer in that price range, as are the SoundMAGIC HP151

Can't go wrong with either.

Sep 21, 2017 at 3:53 AM Post #7 of 11
NVX are $50 on ebay....that's a great deal.
edit: I did a little looking into that price...they are open box sets from Sonicelectronix...so I'm guessing people bought them and returned them and they are being sold as open box....still a really good price (it seems like it has their usual return policy and warranty)
Unfortunate they are all the same price on Amazon in the UK (£79), and the Nvx SPT100 are not availablle on ebay.

Sep 21, 2017 at 3:57 AM Post #8 of 11
Are Audio Technica ATH-M50x no longer recommended?
Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO are very nice looking and all around £120. Which ohm is good for use with a laptop and phone?

Sep 21, 2017 at 4:22 AM Post #9 of 11
Are Audio Technica ATH-M50x no longer recommended?
Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO are very nice looking and all around £120. Which ohm is good for use with a laptop and phone?

80 Ohm would be best for that, the ATH-M50x are a little bit bloated in the bass and also a little sharp in the highs with a slightly recessed midrange, I much prefer the DT770

Sep 21, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #11 of 11
Unfortunate they are all the same price on Amazon in the UK (£79), and the Nvx SPT100 are not availablle on ebay.
still a good headphone at a good price :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back