Recommendations for Cherubini's Requiem(s)?
Nov 14, 2008 at 9:27 AM Post #2 of 7
Isn't this an area where you pretty much have to take what you can get? The Muti recordings of various masses are meant to be the ones to get - I can neither confirm nor deny this having never heard them, but I do have Spering and Das Neue Orchester doing a Requiem in C minor on original instruments, which sounds good to me.

Nov 14, 2008 at 12:03 PM Post #4 of 7
Cherubini is a composer of some originality, and the masses were admired by Beethoven no less, with the C minor one at least being a striking work (I haven't heard the other one sad to say). Muti's versions are meant to be very good - I think the disks are well worth purchasing if you feel the urge to investigate further.

Nov 14, 2008 at 3:56 PM Post #5 of 7
If the record is a double cd and contains two requiems, it is probably this one:

Amazon.com: Verdi: Requiem Mass; Cherubini: Requiem in C minor: Evgeny Nesterenko, Luigi Cherubini, Giuseppe Verdi, Riccardo Muti, Agnes Baltsa, Philharmonia Orchestra of London, Renata Scotto, Veriano Luchetti: Music

This twofer contains both the Cherubini and Verdi requiems. Both performances are awarded three stars (out of four possible, untypically enough) in the Penguin guide. I have not heard either performance but would say this item seems worth picking up, especially if the price is right and you also have use for a(nother) Verdi requiem.

Nov 14, 2008 at 10:06 PM Post #6 of 7
No, I think both requiems were by Cherubini: C minor and D minor. It's a red thing. I'll go back today maybe, to buy it. It'll probably still be there. I can't seem to find any info on it online, but if Muti's supposed to be good, it'll pay to check it out. I shoulda checked the price...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back