recommendations for cheap room acoustic treatments
Jun 14, 2007 at 1:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

recstar24

Can Jam '10 Organizer
Looking at getting further into room acoustics, but I am not paying $200 for a little foam triangle to put in my corner. Anyone have links or a website that deals with making your own treatments for pennies, highly appreciated. Or if you are inclined to sprinkle your own wisdom about your room acoustic treatments, that would be great.

Jun 14, 2007 at 2:03 AM Post #2 of 21
If you want Eighth Nerve (or Michael Green for that matter) type traps, all they seem to be are a triangle of cloth. Inside on one face is a sheet of paper. On the other side is fiberglass. AFAIK. Yes, I do own some, and I was quite disappointed when I received them in person.

Otherwise, the cheapest effective traps, good for first reflection points only, are these: http://www.atsacoustics.com/cat--ATS...nels--100.html
However, these guys have a proven track record of slandering their competitors by making multiple screen names and trolling on many forums.

The most effective and cheap trap, I would say is Gik Acoustics: http://gikacoustics.com/
Measure great, perform great, very affordable, only a few bucks more than ATS. They will be coming out with diffusors soon.

More effective and more attractive but still more or less affordable are Real Traps: http://realtraps.com/
Work great, look great, but are a lot more expensive. Still affordable unlike RPG stuff. They also have new diffusors.

This place only sells diffusors, but they are very affordable, considering: http://www.srlaudio.com/
They did this custom studio for George Massenburg
gml.jpg

I'm personally waiting for gik to release their diffusors before I make a decision.

Jun 14, 2007 at 2:08 AM Post #4 of 21
I posted a step by step first reflection panel guide before, but this one has sharper corners, although I think he underestimates the price of each panel. First, I would recommend going with rigid fiberglass, but it costs a lot more. Second, my burlap cost me a lot more than his did. It takes a while to build, so I'm not doing it again. I'll probably buy mine from gik in the future.

http://www.angelfire.com/sports/RCca...usticpanel.htm

Jun 14, 2007 at 2:12 AM Post #5 of 21
There are lots of threads on various forums about making DIY acoustic treatments. Most often, these are made using a form of rigid fiberglass or rockwool insulation. (OC703 is the most popular option)

You can get supplies online here: http://sensiblesoundsolutions.com/ It's run by a guy who now also works for GIK. Finding things locally is best since shipping can add up for large items like stacks of OC703 sheets.

I'll second GIK and RealTraps if you don't want to DIY. Both companies actively participate on forums like AudioCircle and provide good information.

Jun 14, 2007 at 2:43 AM Post #6 of 21
Re : custom studio : I don't know how that sounds but my god that's beautiful. Might be worth the cost alone.

Back in college I had a friend who managed to do a stunning acoustic treatment of the attic in the house they were renting just using various types of foam, insulation, and drapery mostly bought on clearance at home depot. Just applying a lot of common sense to cheap building material could go a long way.

Jun 14, 2007 at 4:14 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by BradJudy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are lots of threads on various forums about making DIY acoustic treatments. Most often, these are made using a form of rigid fiberglass or rockwool insulation. (OC703 is the most popular option)

You can get supplies online here: http://sensiblesoundsolutions.com/ It's run by a guy who now also works for GIK. Finding things locally is best since shipping can add up for large items like stacks of OC703 sheets.

I'll second GIK and RealTraps if you don't want to DIY. Both companies actively participate on forums like AudioCircle and provide good information.

The bevels are a nice touch, but the bare panels can typically be had for about $60 if you can find a local supplier and you'll skip out on shipping a huge box, too. To me, diy isn't worth the hassle over the price of the Gik panels.

Jun 14, 2007 at 6:11 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The bevels are a nice touch, but the bare panels can typically be had for about $60 if you can find a local supplier and you'll skip out on shipping a huge box, too. To me, diy isn't worth the hassle over the price of the Gik panels.

The Gik panels look good and are reasonably priced considering the labor involved with DIY. I have read some of his posts at audiocircle and he seems like a straightshooter, also very helpful to other users as well.

2 each of the 4" panels for the corners and 2 each of the 2" panels for my sidewall reflections seems like they would do the trick.

Jun 14, 2007 at 12:46 PM Post #9 of 21
What's really exciting is this new flood of affordable diffusors, especially after Gik releases theirs.

Jun 14, 2007 at 3:45 PM Post #10 of 21
This is a great thread. Thanks for the links guys! It's so difficult to find reasonable priced room treatment.

For the ultra budget minded, I'll offer a few quick and dirty solutions - definitely not suited for those concerned with WAF.

Diffusing - egg cartons. You all know where to get these. Also, if you buy them in bulk, invite your friends over for an egg fight!

Reflection - industrial floor mats give one a rubber and carpet side to mount on walls. Big ones can be cut up to the preferred size.

Jun 14, 2007 at 4:05 PM Post #11 of 21
ooheadsoo,

For the GIK acoustic panels, what is the difference between the 2" and 4" panels? The 242 and 244 I believe are the models. It appears that the thicker 244 panels are to be used in corners, and the 242 panels are for the side reflections. Could I just buy 2 boxes of 244 panels and use 2 in my corners and 2 in my reflections? Or maybe 2 boxes of the 242 panels, treat all 4 corners of my room, and side reflections? If I were to go with a box of each, how would you recommend I set them up in my room?

Jun 14, 2007 at 4:54 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by TreAdidas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was actually rather happy with a trip to Wal-Mart and getting a few down comforters. Just a thought
smily_headphones1.gif

That works too
smily_headphones1.gif
I actually have a couple that I use to diffuse the sound a bit, I cover up the TV to the side and I have used it to cover up the side glass door to help with the reflection. But honestly for side reflections its not too helpful. Considering I've spent $200-300 in the past on a piece of wire, I figured its not outside the realm of sanity to spend that on some acoustic panels.

Jun 14, 2007 at 7:39 PM Post #14 of 21
recstar24, while I could spout off some suggestions, believe it or not, I would hit up Glenn, Bryan, or someone else at Gik. They'll consult, whether or not you buy their products. Good guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back