Recommendations for car speakers?
Feb 2, 2021 at 11:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Jerrod

Head-Fier
not looking to get a subwoofer or anything, but just want to replace the factory speakers in my ford explorer as they are pretty bad. I want something that sounds nice without a a sharp/fatiguing treble. Not looking to spend too much as this is an old car so whatever is the best bang for buck. Really have no clue what speakers to get for cars and there are so many different kind. Just looking to replace the 4 speakers in the doors.

Appreciate any insight!

Feb 3, 2021 at 3:31 AM Post #2 of 2
not looking to get a subwoofer or anything, but just want to replace the factory speakers in my ford explorer as they are pretty bad. I want something that sounds nice without a a sharp/fatiguing treble. Not looking to spend too much as this is an old car so whatever is the best bang for buck. Really have no clue what speakers to get for cars and there are so many different kind. Just looking to replace the 4 speakers in the doors.

Appreciate any insight!

One thing you have to keep in mind is that car acoustics ie sitting closer to some speakers than others while having glass for soundwaves to bounce off of tends to affect the sound a lot more than the tweeters' response in a controlled lab environment.

Try something like DLS but if it's still a bit sharp there's a reason why people custom mount tweeters and midrange drivers (and even the midwoofers) to angle them so as to maximize centering the vocals on the dash without getting the nearside drivers too in-your face along with reflections and minimizing time alignment issues.

In other words in car audio it's less about using a very soft dome tweeter or even a crossover with a -6dB option and a lot more because you either hear echoes ie reflections of the same notes several times and hearing the output on the near side first before the output on the other side, much less hearing the tweeter before midwoofer, that causes a perception of sharpness. EQ can't fix these problems - not even a -12dB cut at treble frequencies can change these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back