Recommendations for an upgrade from IE7?
Mar 5, 2011 at 12:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

DeusInvictus7

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I haven't been on here in quite a long time, but it seems the line ups for IEMs haven't changed too much over the past couple years.

Anyway, I'm looking to upgrade my IE7s to something else, and I am kind of torn between a couple choices. Mainly the Westone 3 and the Shure SE425.

Does anyone have any comparisons between the two?

What I am trying to aim for is something that's close to the IE7, but maybe with a bit more bass. It will be a change going from a dynamic driver to balanced armatures, but it seems all the main companies are doing that now...

I'm trying to keep my costs close to or under $300 or so. I can get the W3s used (4 months old) from someone for $325, and the SE425 I can get new for about $315.

Any suggestions or advice?

Thanks

Mar 5, 2011 at 9:22 AM Post #3 of 5
Yeah I was kind of thinking the same thing. I actually found a sweet deal on the FS section here for some UM3Xs, so I think I'll go with those. General consensus seems to be that the UM3X is a better all-rounder than the W3, and since it'll be cheaper than both options that I listed, that makes me happy.

Mar 5, 2011 at 9:43 AM Post #4 of 5
I own the Westone 3's but haven't tried the Shure SE425's. However, I'm guessing like all of Shure's Universal IEM's they're going to have Shure's signature crisp sound. I can say that the bass on the Westone 3's is a touch boomy and an occasional sibilance can be heard. However, they're great headphones that are extremely full and warm! With all that said, I agree with your post above: go with the UM3X, it is an all-around better IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back