Recommendations for an mp3 player noob
Aug 25, 2006 at 9:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

upangel180

100+ Head-Fier
My personal CD player died on me (and literally fell apart in my hands) after it took some water damage in the heavy rains that swept through Chicago yesterday. As a result, I'm forced to

A) look for a replacement CDP
B) Join the unwashed masses, and finally pick up an mp3 player.

the problem is, I have dismissed these things for so damned long that I have no idea what would be a good one. I've heard that iPod's are very proprietary and have problems running mp3's or lossless files that AREN'T purchased through iTunes. Assuming this is true, i'd like to avoid iTunes.

I'm looking at spending $200 or less, and so far, the Creative Zen V is catching my eye. Does any one have any suggestions for a good player....or perhaps more importantly, horror stories about issues that they have had or advice on ones to stay away from?!?

Also, is FM reception typically good on the players that feature it? It seems like a cool feature, but is it worth the extra $20, and another month waiting for the Zen V plus to come out?

Aug 25, 2006 at 9:51 PM Post #2 of 4
Avoiding iTunes is a different issue than avoiding iPod's. Apple wants you to think they are joined at the hip, but don't believe them. There are many things about iTunes that annoy me, but I think the phyical iPod device is a superbly well-designed item. The few things about the iPod that I don't like live in its software (firmware) not in its hardware, and those things are being fixed by Rockbox software which you can put on it for nothing. (Caveat: Rockbox for iPod is a work in progress, and won't be formally released for some months yet.) Even without the Rockbox fixes, IMO iPods are wonderful little devices. AFAIK, nobody but nobody has equalled the goodness of the design.

It's not true that iTunes won't let you play music you didn't get from Apple. For music you do get from Apple, iTunes is more restrictive than the law requires it to be. I use MediaMonkey in place of iTunes, but others have their own preferences.

You can get refurb 5G iPod's from Apple (30GB for $200, 60GB for $300). They come with new case-shells and new batteries. I think those are a great deal. If I didn't already have one, I'd grab one myself.

Aug 26, 2006 at 6:44 PM Post #3 of 4
I've owned an iPod since it came out in 2001.

I think it's my best purchase to life. I must say that I've been playing with Apple products for a long time now. The iPod is one of their best product.

Just think about this:
Back into 2001, Apple was seen by most of the people as a company building way too expensive computers that were not compatible with most of the software. Before 2001, when you told people that you owned a mac, theyre were like : "A mac?? Why the **** do you own a mac.". Well if a company with this kind of reputation has been able in 5 years to take 75% of the mp3 players market share, it's because there is something really special about the iPod.

The interface of the and it's scroll wheel are, IMO, the biggest strenghts of the iPod. It's so easy to navigate through your library of songs that you will never want to move to another player after using your iPod.

The iPod size is also very convenient for carrying around.

Of course, it has plenty of additional features, like videos, photos and bunch of extras (calendar, address book, games, etc.), but the iPod is IMO a music player. If you want to watch videos, buy something else, but for music, iPod is the way to go.

The battery life is a weak point, but you can change it yourself for 30$ after one or two years.

I also highly recommand that you use iPod with iTunes. They are made to be used togheter. It made it so much easier to manage your songs and playlists.

Aug 30, 2006 at 6:53 AM Post #4 of 4
Simple decision: iPod with Superfi 5 pros. Perfect marriage.

It will sound awesome with no amp whatsoever (I run my Superfis at less than half volume unamped--sure makes the battery last longer!) and the iTunes software integration is unmatched. Plus you won't get a sleeker package bulkwise. Had my 3g Ipod for almost 4 years now. Still going strong. Very happy with the sound of my cds ripped to Apple's AAC at 320 bitrate. When it finally dies I will get the 60gb and redo my entire library Apple Lossless but it sounds good enough now. I'm about to get a tiny 2gb Nano just for the gym so I can have a smaller flashcard device to beat up on and not have to worry about a spinning harddrive. Both will work with my library files in iTunes. Can't beat the convenience. Don't listen to the Apple haters before you listen with your own ears.Try it. You'll certainly have no problem selling an iPod if you want to!

One thing...buy your iPod at BestBuy and get the protection plan. Just the battery replacement after two years is worth the price. (All I had to do on mine) And if it breaks they just tell you to grab another one off the shelf rather than having you wait to have it fixed like Apple's Protection plan does.

EDIT: Just saw that you don't want to spend more than $200. I'd say look at the 2gb Nano instead of the iPod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back