Recommendations for an all round good set of headphones, that can also handle drum and bass :)
Dec 25, 2020 at 2:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

timbo999

New Head-Fier
Hi all. I’m looking for some new headphones. Budget is around £150 ($200). Will be using PC as the source and a SoundMagic DAC, but might get a nee headphone amp. I’ll be listening at home in the office so I don’t need closed back. I listen to a lot of podcasts, chart radio, music with a lot of vocals I enjoy but my big passion is drum and bass. I don’t need a massive bass slam but I need to be able to enjoy it. I want to be able to listen and enjoy the music and all types of music.
The Philips SHP9500’s get rave reviews but I’m worried that the bass won’t be what I’m after.
The other headphones I’m looking at are the Dekoni Blue’s that have 5 days left on MassDrop. They sound like a fun headphone to suit most genres.
Any suggestions from people?
Many thanks. Tim.

Dec 25, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #2 of 7
I'd say Philips Fidelio X2HR for ~$150 USD over the SHP9500.

Dec 26, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #3 of 7
I would recommend the Fidelio X2hr over the Dekomi Blue or the
shp 9500. They have outstanding bass, don't require a ton of power, and are very comfortable.
The Blue is a good headphone, maybe a little bit better as an all-arounder, but it needs an amp, and the bass isn't nearly as good as the X2.
I think for your price range and the music you like the X2 is a winner.

Dec 26, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #4 of 7
I would recommend the Fidelio X2hr over the Dekomi Blue or the
shp 9500. They have outstanding bass, don't require a ton of power, and are very comfortable.
The Blue is a good headphone, maybe a little bit better as an all-arounder, but it needs an amp, and the bass isn't nearly as good as the X2.
I think for your price range and the music you like the X2 is a winner.
Agreed. Any Fostex planar based mod (as the originals) need an amp -- and not just any amp, but a stout one. The X2 can do most of what it will do without an amp.

Jan 4, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #5 of 7
Well, I got the X2HR’s and have burned them in and given them a good listening to. They’re very detailed. The bass is very detailed compared to any other earphone or headphone I’ve listened to.

However, it’s quite a different sound. I somehow can’t listen to them very loud otherwise the bass simply takes over. I feel I want to listen a little louder to appreciate the vocals and the highs but the bass is pretty strong.

The sound is really nice but at the right volume. I guess sensible listening level whilst working, the sound great. But, crank it a little to hear and feel the tune and it’s too much for my ears.

Perhaps it’s because they’re open back and getting used to that. There’s zero sound pressure on the ears, which is quite an odd feeling.

Im using a Cyrus SoundMagic DAC, any chance an upgrade

Jan 4, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #6 of 7
I would recommend Sony MDR-1AM2, though they go for around $250.

Usually you get what you pay for it, but I totally understand if the price doesn't work for you. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back