Recommendations for an Addition/Upgrade?
Dec 18, 2014 at 12:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

mosetron

New Head-Fier
Got an itch to either get another pair of cans or upgrade sources/amps and wondering if people have recommendations for a next step in the 200-300 neighborhood.

Currently I've got: 
HD598s
Mad Dog 3.2s (single ended)
FiiO e12
160GB iPod classic
Xonar DG sound card

I really enjoy the 598s as all-around headphones, but use the mad dogs for electronic music or when out and about.

Have been thinking about getting either a desktop amp setup (maybe Schiit M/M?) or some over-ears that will augment what I have now. Maybe Grados for rock? Am I better off trying to upgrade my sources?

With the desktop amp, worried the HD598s won't benefit much, and not sure the mad dogs will open up enough for me to prefer them as general-use headphones at home. Any thoughts?

Avoiding IEMs because I tend to lose or destroy them.

I listen to a bit of everything, electronic, hip-hop, folk, rock, dub, classical, jazz, Greek and Malian world music, etc.

Dec 18, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #2 of 2
I think it comes down to - do you want to build your system to get more out of the Mad Dogs or do you want to pick up headphones that offer complimentary sound to your Mad Dogs? Adding a M/M stack won't turn the Mad Dog into a new headphone but rather improve upon what's already there. Another headphone in the $200-300 range will add a new sound signature to your collection of relatively similar quality of the Mad Dog. 

Just an opinion - you already have a DAC/amp. I do believe the M/M stack will improve upon what you already have... I'm really not sure how drastic of an improvement you'll notice.... probably a slight improvement in refinements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back