Recommendations for Amp + Headphones for ~$350
Dec 4, 2005 at 11:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Sh0eBoX

500+ Head-Fier
hello. my friend is looking for a pair of headphones and an amp to go along with them totalling around $350. He would like to know what would be the best he can get for around there. requirements are:

closed, almost all genres of music, strong bass, mid range must be VERY strong, comfort isn't too much of an issue, but would prefer that he could wear them for extended periods without becoming uncomfortable. doesn't want too strong of bass, looking more for awesome midrange and decent highs for guitar and such. main music genres would be punk/metal/techno/ska/emo. no rap. decent soundstage.

any suggestions? i'm new to this myself and would like to learn also. thanks for any and all suggestions you guys have
biggrin.gif

Dec 5, 2005 at 1:19 AM Post #2 of 16
any suggestions at all?
confused.gif

Dec 5, 2005 at 2:53 AM Post #5 of 16
yea he said the grados were appealing but yeah, they do look uncomfortable. i'm not sure what else he could go for, if he got the a900s, what would be a decent amp for them that would put him at around his $350 total?

Dec 5, 2005 at 3:57 AM Post #6 of 16
As an owner of a pair of A900s, I can say that they don't really improve noticably with amplification. So getting an amp with the A900s might not be worth it monetarily. If your friend is willing to go with open headphones, then his options open up a lot. But if he insists on closed phones, he could try the Beyer DT250 or the DT770.

Dec 5, 2005 at 5:18 AM Post #7 of 16
alright thanks for the replies guys... he seems to like the dt770s, and since they're available locally, that's a plus. any suggestions on an amp that would go well with them though? i believe that the dt770s are $200 here, so the amp should be no more than $150. hit me up with some suggestions... thanks!

Dec 5, 2005 at 5:39 AM Post #8 of 16
Portaphile X3
Go Vibe III /w 8620
Used Pimeta

3rd option's prolly the best
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 5, 2005 at 5:53 AM Post #9 of 16
sweet thanks, but where can these guys be purchased online? i'm having a little bitta trouble finding some of them.

Dec 5, 2005 at 5:53 AM Post #10 of 16
double post error

Dec 6, 2005 at 6:18 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sh0eBoX
my friend wants to know if this is any good of an amp:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

While I cant specifically comment on that amp, im going to say no, simply on the basis that this isnt an amp built for home listening, but really just for performers getting the mix to their headphones. My guess is you can find something much much better and the sound out of this would be quite colored and very noisey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back