Recommendations for all-arounder IEMs for rock/classic rock & hip-hop?
Aug 4, 2018 at 1:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

briluster

New Head-Fier
I apologize for the long post; the subject/title summarizes my question. I am looking for suggestions for an all-arounder IEM for $150 or under. I listen to the following genres--many of which are not great quality recordings--ranked in order I spend most time listening to each:

classic rock (Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix, etc)
hip-hop (90s East Coast--NAS, A Tribe Called Quest, Gang Starr, etc)
grunge (Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, etc)
heavy metal (1970s Judas Priest, early Metallica, early Ozzy Osbourne)
progressive rock (1970s-King Crimson, Genesis, Yes, etc)
jazz/fusion (1960s/1970s--Miles Davis, John Coltrane, etc)
blues (1930s-1960s--Muddy Waters, Blind Blake, Little Walter, etc)
funk (Parliament, James Brown, The Meters, etc)
pop (Adele, James Taylor, Fleetwood Mac, etc)
Latin (Gustavo Cerati, Cafe Tacvba, Juanes, etc)
*Note: I do not listen to classical music nor Diana Krall or other "audiophile music" often referenced on head-fi.

Most of my files are 320 kbps (Spotify extreme) from my LG V20 or 256 kbps (AAC) files on my iPod Classic 7G with Fiio A3 amp; however, I plan on re-ripping as much of my CD collection as I can locate--this time into ALAC files--and replacing the files on my iPod with the ALAC files. I would really like to have a single IEM that is enough of a "jack of all trades" to live with one as my "every day carry" pair. I currently own the following headphones:

Shure 215 LTD/SPE (enhanced bass)
HiFiMAN RE-400
VE Monk+
Massdrop x E-MU Purpleheart
Grade SR60e
Audio Technica ATH-M40X
Massdrop x Sennheiser HD6XX

My favorite non-IEM headphones are probably my Grados for all rock genres (with the bass boost engaged on my amp) and my Purpleheart for hip-hop, with the HD6XX getting the nod for jazz and funk. I'm no audiophile and have nothing close to trained, golden ears. As far as preferred sound signature, this makes it hard to say even if I have one--at least as far as I currently know. For an IEM for both hip-hop and classic/90s rock, I'd guess maybe a somewhat balanced tuning with slightly elevated sub-bass and upper-midrange; however, I honestly can't say for sure. I have read multiple reviews and researched many IEMs, which I tend to be leaning toward but are admittedly all over the place as far as sound signature:

Creative Aurvana Trio $150
Massdrop x NuForce EDC3 $100
1MORE Triple Driver $85
Massdrop x MEE Audio Pinnacle PX $115
Alpha & Delta D6 $95
Meze 11 Neo $60

I'm open to recommendations particularly from those whose primary genres coincide with or are closely aligned to mine and who have found a good enough compromise in a single IEM to make the overall listening experience (i.e., limited critical listening) enjoyable. Lastly, all things equal I prefer IEMs worn cable down vice over the ear--mostly due to the comparative ease (for me, at least) of inserting them, as my listening sessions usually include multiple interruptions from my wife or children.

Aug 4, 2018 at 8:21 PM Post #2 of 8
I share many of your genres and it is my belief that your best option is the iBasso IT01. The problem is that it is over-ear. I personally don't like over-ear either but as a result of the excellent, flexible cable, insertion and re-insertion is fairly quick and easy. FWIW.

Aug 4, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #3 of 8
I share many of your genres and it is my belief that your best option is the iBasso IT01. The problem is that it is over-ear. I personally don't like over-ear either but as a result of the excellent, flexible cable, insertion and re-insertion is fairly quick and easy. FWIW.

I know the IT01 has a v-shaped sound signature. Sharing my music tastes, is that your preferred tonality? I figure I should look for something with sub-bass thump and Grado-esque upper-mids to cover both hip-hop & rock, respectively. Seems like a quality v-shaped sound signature would cover both bases.

Aug 4, 2018 at 10:52 PM Post #4 of 8
It does sound like your preferences specifically and the IT01's signature align fairly nicely. And I must say, the bass is very impressive and I think would work well for your genres. I have not encountered bass in this price range that is this high quality, personally. YMMV, of course and this is all just my personal take.:)

Aug 4, 2018 at 11:46 PM Post #5 of 8
Let me cast my vote for the VSonic Gr07 37th Anniversary Special Edition, these are awesome IEMs and don't seem to rise up above the "noise floor" here on Head-fi to get many recommendations (most people have the classic or the Bass versions), they are true sleepers. Only big drawback is the 100 hour bed- in time. Once I got them over 50 hours they really got amazing, and sound good running straight off of my LG V30 without the Mont Blanc amp.

Aug 4, 2018 at 11:55 PM Post #6 of 8
Let me cast my vote for the VSonic Gr07 37th Anniversary Special Edition, these are awesome IEMs and don't seem to rise up above the "noise floor" here on Head-fi to get many recommendations (most people have the classic or the Bass versions), they are true sleepers. Only big drawback is the 100 hour bed- in time. Once I got them over 50 hours they really got amazing, and sound good running straight off of my LG V30 without the Mont Blanc amp.

Interesting...I haven't heard of the 37th Anniversary edition. (It sounds odd--37th Anniversary vice 40th Anniversary or other rounded year???) How does it differ from the Classic version?

Aug 5, 2018 at 1:50 AM Post #7 of 8
Interesting...I haven't heard of the 37th Anniversary edition. (It sounds odd--37th Anniversary vice 40th Anniversary or other rounded year???) How does it differ from the Classic version?

It uses the carbon driver from the GR09 instead of their standard 11mm bio-cellulose driver in the regular GR07.

no idea why they chose 37th as the year to produce a special edition, certainly makes it...different.

Last edited:
May 9, 2019 at 6:33 PM Post #8 of 8
I apologize for the long post; the subject/title summarizes my question. I am looking for suggestions for an all-arounder IEM for $150 or under. I listen to the following genres--many of which are not great quality recordings--ranked in order I spend most time listening to each:

classic rock (Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix, etc)
hip-hop (90s East Coast--NAS, A Tribe Called Quest, Gang Starr, etc)
grunge (Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, etc)
heavy metal (1970s Judas Priest, early Metallica, early Ozzy Osbourne)
progressive rock (1970s-King Crimson, Genesis, Yes, etc)
jazz/fusion (1960s/1970s--Miles Davis, John Coltrane, etc)
blues (1930s-1960s--Muddy Waters, Blind Blake, Little Walter, etc)
funk (Parliament, James Brown, The Meters, etc)
pop (Adele, James Taylor, Fleetwood Mac, etc)
Latin (Gustavo Cerati, Cafe Tacvba, Juanes, etc)
*Note: I do not listen to classical music nor Diana Krall or other "audiophile music" often referenced on head-fi.

Most of my files are 320 kbps (Spotify extreme) from my LG V20 or 256 kbps (AAC) files on my iPod Classic 7G with Fiio A3 amp; however, I plan on re-ripping as much of my CD collection as I can locate--this time into ALAC files--and replacing the files on my iPod with the ALAC files. I would really like to have a single IEM that is enough of a "jack of all trades" to live with one as my "every day carry" pair. I currently own the following headphones:

Shure 215 LTD/SPE (enhanced bass)
HiFiMAN RE-400
VE Monk+
Massdrop x E-MU Purpleheart
Grade SR60e
Audio Technica ATH-M40X
Massdrop x Sennheiser HD6XX

My favorite non-IEM headphones are probably my Grados for all rock genres (with the bass boost engaged on my amp) and my Purpleheart for hip-hop, with the HD6XX getting the nod for jazz and funk. I'm no audiophile and have nothing close to trained, golden ears. As far as preferred sound signature, this makes it hard to say even if I have one--at least as far as I currently know. For an IEM for both hip-hop and classic/90s rock, I'd guess maybe a somewhat balanced tuning with slightly elevated sub-bass and upper-midrange; however, I honestly can't say for sure. I have read multiple reviews and researched many IEMs, which I tend to be leaning toward but are admittedly all over the place as far as sound signature:

Creative Aurvana Trio $150
Massdrop x NuForce EDC3 $100
1MORE Triple Driver $85
Massdrop x MEE Audio Pinnacle PX $115
Alpha & Delta D6 $95
Meze 11 Neo $60

I'm open to recommendations particularly from those whose primary genres coincide with or are closely aligned to mine and who have found a good enough compromise in a single IEM to make the overall listening experience (i.e., limited critical listening) enjoyable. Lastly, all things equal I prefer IEMs worn cable down vice over the ear--mostly due to the comparative ease (for me, at least) of inserting them, as my listening sessions usually include multiple interruptions from my wife or children.
For that music i would recomend the ue triple fi 10. It is dated but still a classic and concepts with even new models. I own it and listen to the same genres of music. Used in good condition might be able to find for that price. They are well
worth it. Originally $400 and designed by jerry harvey when ue was his company.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back