Recommendations for air travel and portable DVD?
Nov 17, 2002 at 6:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

UrbanCowboy

New Head-Fier
I just purchased the Toshiba SD-P2000 portable DVD player and I am looking for some quality cans to use with it. I will primarily use it on an airplane.

I am considering the ER-4P's, but I've never used an earphone before and I don't know if I could tolerate it. I'm also not sure how these would do for movies vs. music. Not to mention that the price is pretty steep.

Anyone have a good recommendation for a portable DVD player?

Nov 17, 2002 at 6:13 PM Post #2 of 12
Well, for me, I like having a little quiet on an airplane. For this reason, I would try out the ER-4P and at least see if you like it. Yes, canalphones can be annoying to wear -- but I'd be willing to make that sacrifice for a little peace and quiet. I will decline to comment on how the ER-4P's actually sound, because I do not own a pair. But if you do a search for them in this forum you will see quite a few people who are enamored by them.

I'm currently trying out what are supposedly the best-isolating full size cans (the sennheiser hd280 pros), and I can tell you these probably will not block out enough jet engine noise for me. The Ety's will probably block out more than any other full size can (short of air controller headsets or something like that).

Nov 18, 2002 at 2:19 AM Post #3 of 12
The isolation you get with the Etys is great. If you do a lot of air travel, that alone is worth the cost. The sound quality is amazing, I have the ER-4S. Although I've never used them for movies, I would guess they would sound great. Vocals are outstanding with them and I would imagine dialog would be equally good. The ER-4P supposedly have more bass, which may suit movie soundtracks a little better than the 4S. The price tag is steep, but IMHO they are worth it.

Nov 18, 2002 at 6:00 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by dokebi
How is the battery life. I had a portable panasonic unit with a giant battery and the length of it was terrible.

I don't know. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet.
frown.gif

Thanks for the input, guys. Keep it coming.

Nov 18, 2002 at 9:18 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by UrbanCowboy
I just purchased the Toshiba SD-P2000 portable DVD player and I am looking for some quality cans to use with it. I will primarily use it on an airplane.

I would tend to agree that the Etys would be your best bet for one reason: between the jet engine noise and wind noise I find it difficult to enjoy movies at reasonable levels. I end up having my headphones cranked up quite loud just to overcome the environmental noises that a jet produces while in flight.

If you aren't listening to the Etys while in filght, they make great noise blockers to let you sleep as they provide some 23db of noise blocking. Peaceful, musical, what more could you ask for??

Nov 19, 2002 at 12:55 AM Post #8 of 12
actually, the microphonic effects can get annoying when u're walking around on the streets and ur music isn't turned up enough, but proper placement and alignment of the shirt clip and a decent volume level eliminate much of the problem for me. besides, if u're sitting on a plane, i don't think the microphonic effects would bother u much if at all...

on the other hand, i'd advise against eating things while watching ur movies thru them etys... hehe... to get a feel for what it's like, plug ur ears with ur fingers and munch on some potato chips...
eek.gif

Nov 19, 2002 at 1:11 AM Post #9 of 12
I have a Toshiba SDP1500 and I use Ety ER-6s and an Airhead with it.
It sounds good and it fits into the DVD player case nicely.
If you aren't used to using the plastic Ety tips, they can be uncomfortable for a while, but you will get used to it.
You can also use the foam tips, but I think the plastic tips block out more external noise.

Battery life on the SDP1500 is very good.
I have the standard battery and the optional long life battery.
I get about 3 hours from the standard and about 5 hours from the long life battery.

Nov 19, 2002 at 1:32 AM Post #10 of 12
The microphonic effect can be reduced by routing the cable over the back of your ears and by having the shirt clip. Having the section over the ears seems to damp the vibration. Doesn't help with eating though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back