Recommendations for a young guy looking for not so modern good music
Dec 2, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #16 of 28
Haha, I will have fun! If I pick up a couple a month, I should have a nice collection this time next year! There certainly is a lot - Just looking Kees' list just hammers that home!

I think Dad's got the Blondie album hanging around somewhere, I made a Hanging On The Telephone ringtone a while back!

Dec 2, 2008 at 11:17 PM Post #17 of 28
Also check out this longish thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f9/abs...l-time-253966/

I'm in a somewhat similar situation myself (about 3 years older, and I didn't really get into music until 4 or 5 years ago, with funds remaining tight until this year).
Interestingly, current mainstream R'n'B (at least as far as I get to hear it, there is one radio station here which plays such stuff) seems just as bad to me. Dead, synthetic, mass-produced. I'd prefer good '60s/'70s soul (or retro versions like Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings) or folks like Michael Jackson and Prince any day of the week, by a long shot.

My discoveries in terms of older artists so far (some, in fact, through this forum):
Kate Bush (big fan now; versatile art-pop with idiosyncratic lyrics and frequently exotic sources of inspiration, not to forget the voice; for a cross-section of her career, I'd pick up The Kick Inside, Never for Ever, The Dreaming, Hounds of Love, The Sensual World and Aerial - that's most of her albums, actually, but what are you to do if an artist takes a turn into a fairly different direction with almost every new one?; thankfully, even Aerial (2005) was mastered at very "oldschool" levels, the loudest album probably is the 1997 Hound of Love remaster)
Peter Gabriel (ex-Genesis; if there is a male counterpart to Kate Bush, it's probably him (or perhaps rather vice versa), they also crossed musical paths a few times; he included what was to become "world music" influences fairly early on, but despite his artistic ambitions he also kept a pretty good handle on pop tunes; his third and fourth album, all titled "Peter Gabriel" up to this point, are both excellent and include some of the most dynamic "pop" music I know, even with the good-sounding remasters not infrequently clipping in the peaks; So also is pretty good, as is the still quite diverse first album, Up I don't have yet but it also gets good reviews)
David Sylvian (ex-Japan; always somewhat melancholic; you'd typically pick up Secrets of a Beehive as a first, though I'm currently even more fond of the "ambient" Alchemy: An Index of Possibilities, which I find to be amazingly timeless, it's from 1985 but frequently could also pass for 2005 - which is not to say that Secrets... would fare much worse in this regard)
Laura Nyro (phenomenal soul singer-songwriter with an interesting career; one would typically pick up New York Tendaberry first, too bad the tone quality of the louder passages isn't too great)
Cocteau Twins (I only have the typically suggested Treasure so far, but this kind of "ethereal pop" is still pretty unique-sounding these days and definitely worth hearing)
Pink Floyd (usually considered prog; can't say too much in general, as I only have Wish You Were Here so far, but this one I liked instantly - sure the 1975 date shows but it doesn't feel dated, and the early-'90s CD remaster shows good quality)
King Crimson (again, prog; I only have In the Court of the Crimson King so far, "the record that defined prog", and again me likes but further exploration still is necessary)
Phil Collins (ex-Genesis; in this case my recommendation would be for the debut Face Value only, which contains some fairly brilliant experimental tracks; his later output is much more on the soft pop side of things)
Joni Mitchell (influential singer-songwriter; still quite conventional on Blue (1971, remaster on HDCD with peak extension) but already pushing the limits of the genre on The Hissing of Summer Lawns (1975) with tracks like The Jungle Line (which I find to be a whole lot more interesting already); I still have to get her later output to see where the voyage goes, but generelly Jazz became a greater influence, and what I heard from the 1977 album Don Juan's Reckless Daughter certainly made me curious)

And those I already knew:
Mike Oldfield (guitarist and multi-instrumentalist; Amarok is cool and fun with cans, and the "book turned into music" Songs of Distant Earth is a fav of mine from way back when, otherwise one should mainly stick to his '70s output I think)
Jean Michel Jarre (synth pioneer whose albums unfortunately seem to be subject to very "hot" remastering)

And finally, things I found interesting but couldn't quite get the hang of:
Jeff Buckley - Song from Jeff Buckley (genre problem, '90s rock just isn't up my alley for some reason)
Brian Eno & David Byrne - My Life In the Bush of Ghosts (experimental and innovative in its day, with quite a bit of influence on musicians I think, but for the most part not what I'd want to listen to all day)
Talking Heads - Remain in Light (similar to the previous disc; somehow I find this hasn't aged too well)

Dec 2, 2008 at 11:34 PM Post #18 of 28
Some fantastic recommendations there. Not a klunker in the bunch. Too bad about not having enough room for a turntable. I have picked up some awsome music for a dollar an album. Great way to sample.

For the grateful dead I would go with Europe 72.

Dec 3, 2008 at 7:06 PM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by LostPhil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha, I will have fun! If I pick up a couple a month, I should have a nice collection this time next year!

A couple of albums a month sounds like a pretty good rate. One mistake that's pretty easy to make when you're checking out new music is to do it too fast. I use to buy six or seven albums at a time, and I'd find that I didn't really have time to fully absorb the music I was buying. Make sure you give your new albums a couple of solid, dedicated listens before buying more. Your collection may grow more slowly, but in the long run, you'll appreciate all your music much more.

Dec 5, 2008 at 1:47 AM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by LostPhil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello, I have a challenge for you guys.

I'm 23 and I didn't get into music until I was around... 17 or so. I've only ever really listened to more modern music and so I've missed out on a lot of so called Essentials.

The problem is, I really have nowhere to start with music obviously spanning multiple extremes! I have a fairly open mind although anything like modern "RnB" is a no-go.

A selection of albums that I love:
- Gomez - Bring It On
- Incubus - All of them besides Light Grenades
- Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes
- Belle & Sebastian - Tigermilk
- Guillemots - Through the Windowpane
- Kings of Leon - Aha Shake Heartbreak
- Modest Mouse - The Moon & Antarctica and Good News For People Who Love Bad News
- Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream
- Muse - Origin of Symmetry (well, most of it)
- Pavement - Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain
- Radiohead - OK Computer, In Rainbows
- Rage Against The Machine - Rage Against The Machine (most of it, gets a little repetitive)
- A - Hi-fi Serious
- Eels - Daisies of the Galaxy
- Jurassic 5 - Quality Control

I have on order Hadouken!'s album and Porcupine Tree's In Absentia so I'd like something a little different. Initially I had Sigur Ros's () on order but cancelled it due to it being out of stock and thought I may as well ask your opinions on a great band/album I really need to check out.

I haven't heard much before the 90's besides a bit of Pink Floyd (which my Dad's CD collection covers!) so suggestions for older classics would be appreciated.

Sound/recording quality isn't much of a concern really, I've put up with some pretty dire mastering over the last few years!

So, any ideas?

Get all of the other 3 Kings of Leon albums, you wont regret it!

(Youth and Young Manhood, Because of these Times, Only by the Night)

*edit - thought i'd add some more

Jeff Buckley - Grace
The Libertines - The Libertines
The Libertines - Up the Bracket
Arctic Monkeys - WPSTWIM
Blur - Best Of
The Killers - Hot Fuss
Oasis - Definatley Maybe
Oasis - Dig Out Your Soul
The Shins - Wincing the Night Away
Supergrass - Supergrass is 10
The Who - My Generation

Dec 5, 2008 at 2:03 AM Post #21 of 28
I subscribe to emusic.com which is pretty good for forcing you to find non-mainstream music. About the only complaint I have is the albums the imitate popular artists and usually sound like crap compared to the original. Since you're obviously open to suggestions, I'd suggest taking a look at this site. Like Amazon, they offer 30 second previews but they work on a non-DRM subscription basis. As a quick example, I can download 55 songs of my choosing for $16.99/month. I think the experience is best when you spend a good amount of time exploring.

Dec 5, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #22 of 28
the most necessary album i own:

1716597509.jpg

Dec 5, 2008 at 10:10 AM Post #23 of 28
I think you should get into some old David Bowie. Get Space Oddity and Ziggy Stardust.
You should also listen to Pink Floyd's The Wall, Dark Side of the Moon, Animals and Meddle.

Good to see someone already mentioned Nick Drake's Pink Moon. Absolutely beautiful.

Oh, and Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks.

Dec 6, 2008 at 4:17 AM Post #24 of 28
Check out anything by Morrissey... especially The Smiths. If you like grunge (Nirvana, Pearl Jam or Soundgarden), Temple Of The Dog or Mother Love Bone are great. "Time In A Bottle" by Jim Croce will make your mother cry.

Dec 6, 2008 at 11:51 AM Post #25 of 28
my best suggestion for you would be to check out the artists/albums you enjoy and just explore things through them further through wikipedia.org. I went from about five artists that I enjoy to over 100. And with some artists I would say pick up their best hits album to decide if you actually like the band and expand to albums that you enjoy from there.

Dec 6, 2008 at 4:41 PM Post #27 of 28
Everything by Jethro Tull, Cat Stevens, and The Guess Who.

For jazz, check out John Coltrane--try his later works, such as "Om" from his free jazz period.
Other jazz artists worth listening to: Cecil Taylor, Ornette Coleman, Sun Ra, Jimmy Smith, Eric Dolphy. There are, of course, many others.

For classical try: Holzt's The Planets and Copeland's Fanfare for the Common Man.

For opera, try Puccini La Boheme or Madame Butterfly.

Cheers!

Dec 6, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #28 of 28
A lot of great suggestions for the OP, who seems to have varied tastes. To similar queries, I usually recommend what is sometimes called "classic alternative". This usually refers to 70s and 80s bands. Many of have already been mentioned. Sorry if I duplicate, but I humbly put forth the following:

Television
The Modern Lovers
The Stooges
MC5
Big Star
Ramones
Brian Eno
Roxy Music
Bush Tetras
Magazine
Gang Of Four
Killing Joke