Recommendations for a X-mas gift
Dec 13, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #16 of 20
My view is that you should buy headphones for the sound quality & specific sound signature they provide. You buy electronics *primarily* to meet the headphone's requirements for voltage, current, etc and allow the headphones to be driven properly so the headphones can provide all the sound they are capable of delivering. This is not always true - (for example tube amps) - but IMHO meeting the requirements should be the first consideration.

Therefore, the amp is purchased when the headphones you want to use need an amp. They might need an amp because the headphones are difficult to drive (have high requirements for voltage, current, etc), and/or because the music source you are using can't meet whatever the requirements are. For some phones & cheap onboard PC soundcards, even relatively easy to drive headphones can be improved by an amp. OTOH, if the headphones are particularly easy to drive, then an amp might be unnecessary, even from a puny phone. It all depends on the requirements.

Now the DAC... IMHO, the DAC has more subtle effect on the actual sound quality. ESPECIALLY when we are talking about modern DAC designs based on the latest DAC chips. I think many people that speak of night & day differences when swapping the DAC may really be hearing differences in the amp sections that are after the actual DAC circuit. Hooking a DAC to your PC bypasses the internal amp in your onboard soundcard. I think that's the primary benefit.

This, of course, is heresy to many of the golden-eared folks at head-fi. They might say they can absolutely hear the difference between two DAC chips from the same chip manufacturer. They might also say they can hear the difference between two USB cables, or two AC power cables or whether the amp was made while Jupiter was rising in Virgo. :p

So - with that long discourse being said, my advice is:

1) Pick the headphones
2) Buy an amp if they need one
3) If you want to bypass your PC soundcard, then buy a DAC (or combine #2 & #3 and buy a DAC/amp device)

:)

Dec 13, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #18 of 20
There should not be a difference - HOWEVER, you might want to be a little careful, at one time, there were some fake Fiio E5 amps floating around eBay & Amazon. I'm not sure if that also occurred with the E6. This one is sold by a seller that is listed on the Fiio web site as an authorized reseller, so that's probably the way I would go:

http://www.amazon.ca/E6-Portable-Audio-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B005HJWWW8/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1418531027&sr=1-1

Here's another authorized reseller: http://www.nytrosound.com/shop/e6-fujiyama-headphone-amplifier/

Authorized Fiio reseller list: http://www.fiio.net/en/stores

Dec 14, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #19 of 20
I will keep that in mind.

As tempted as I am to buy stuff today, I'll try to be patient and wait for a better price. The m50x is $162 right now and the Momentums are $280. Once I get the cans I'll decide if I want an amp or not, although that little e6 is pretty neat (and affordable!) or maybe I'll splurge and get something like the Audioengine D1 (I read that its a good DAC/AMP combo?)

Thanks for all your advice billybob, helped me out tons!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back