Recommendations for a portable FLAC player.
Sep 14, 2013 at 5:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

SCBebop

New Head-Fier
Hi I'm new here and I'm contemplating on whether I should buy a portable MP3/DAC player. I'm going to be strictly using this for music only I don't care much for extra features. Although it would be a big plus if the interface was easy to navigate through because I like customizing my playlists since my library is quite huge.

I also prefer if the player could support up to 32 GB - 500 GB. I've heard that some players can't support 64 GB.Since FLAC files tend to hug up a lot of space I want to make sure there is enough room for my music. I'll be mainly listening to some jpop, instrumentals, hip-hop and classical. 

My budget is currently around $50-$150. I don't mind buying extra MicroSD cards assuming the player is good. 

Sep 14, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #3 of 7
For about $60 you can get Sansa clip+, which in my opinion is the best sounding and reliable mp3/FLAC player for under $200.
You can use 32gb microSD cards for sure, (thats what I have in mine) plus you get 4-8GB of onboard memory.
It supports FLAC/Ogg/Mp3/WMA
Also, worth mentioning is fact, that you get the radio in it, digital voice recorder, plus simple but quite good audiobook player. You can also rock-box it.
Battery life isnt impressive though - about 10 hours, but otherwise - it is a great, hugely underrated player.

You can also check Cowon players - some people like them, and slighlty outside your budget, but with premium sound quality: the new ibasso DX50 for around $250.

Edit: here is the guy saying that Sansa clip+ works with 64gb card (formatted as FAT 32 and tricked a bit):
http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Sansa-Clip-Sansa-Clip/Will-the-Clip-support-the-64GB-Micro-SD-cards/td-p/248380

Sep 14, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #4 of 7
  For about $60 you can get Sansa clip+, which in my opinion is the best sounding and reliable mp3/FLAC player for under $200.
You can use 32gb microSD cards for sure, (thats what I have in mine) plus you get 4-8GB of onboard memory.
It supports FLAC/Ogg/Mp3/WMA
Also, worth mentioning is fact, that you get the radio in it, digital voice recorder, plus simple but quite good audiobook player. You can also rock-box it.
Battery life isnt impressive though - about 10 hours, but otherwise - it is a great, hugely underrated player.

You can also check Cowon players - some people like them, and slighlty outside your budget, but with premium sound quality: the new ibasso DX50 for around $250.

Edit: here is the guy saying that Sansa clip+ works with 64gb card (formatted as FAT 32 and tricked a bit):
http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Sansa-Clip-Sansa-Clip/Will-the-Clip-support-the-64GB-Micro-SD-cards/td-p/248380

All right I'll probably get these then. 10 hours for battery is just fine for me. Since I'm just using it for commuting to school and just working out. Is it relatively easy to navigate through music with the Sansa clip+? Since I do plan on purchasing multiple 32gb cards if I can't manage to get the 64 gb working. I've heard some horror stories when it comes to managing music on a Micro SD Card. How did you manage to fare with it?

Sep 14, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #5 of 7
Sansa menu is quite user-friendly and intuitive, as for such a small device without graphic user interface nor touchscreen.
You can group your music in folders, order them as you like, create playlists, etc.
It is not the best possible and friendliest, but comparing to other players, it is alright.

You can also try to get one of such players cheaply secondhand, that's what I did, as I wasn't sure if I would like it, so I got mine for about 15 quid ($20) used, and It works with no problems at all third year straight, while other players that I own during same period, either broke down or died totally. So, if I were to use 10 point scale, Sansa clip would score 10/10 for reliability, 10/10 for mobility, 8/10 for functionality, 7/10 for user menu, 6.5/10 for sound quality. Plus it was $20, so got 11/10 for value :) . Recommended.

You can also look for its reviews here, on head-fi, for eaxmple:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/sandisk-sansa-clip-8-gb-mp3-player-black/reviews/5829
or
http://www.head-fi.org/products/sandisk-sansa-clip-8-gb-mp3-player-black/reviews/8158

Sep 14, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #6 of 7
  Sansa menu is quite user-friendly and intuitive, as for such a small device without graphic user interface nor touchscreen.
You can group your music in folders, order them as you like, create playlists, etc.
It is not the best possible and friendliest, but comparing to other players, it is alright.

You can also try to get one of such players cheaply secondhand, that's what I did, as I wasn't sure if I would like it, so I got mine for about 15 quid ($20) used, and It works with no problems at all third year straight, while other players that I own during same period, either broke down or died totally. So, if I were to use 10 point scale, Sansa clip would score 10/10 for reliability, 10/10 for mobility, 8/10 for functionality, 7/10 for user menu, 6.5/10 for sound quality. Plus it was $20, so got 11/10 for value :) . Recommended.

You can also look for its reviews here, on head-fi, for eaxmple:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/sandisk-sansa-clip-8-gb-mp3-player-black/reviews/5829
or
http://www.head-fi.org/products/sandisk-sansa-clip-8-gb-mp3-player-black/reviews/8158

Well if customization for it it just manageable then that should be good enough for me. I see. Dam $20 that's definitely worth the price. Where did you end up buying it? Why did you score it relatively for sound? Are there any other players that score higher in sound around the same price range? I don't care much for the UI. 

Storage space, SQ, and stability is basically what I'm searching for in a player. 

Sep 15, 2013 at 1:55 AM Post #7 of 7
Scored 6.5 for sound quality in general, not as in the price range. There are players that sound better, like ibassodx50 (8/10), hisoundaudio (8.5/10) studio V or ak120 (9/10) , but unfortunately they are quite expensive costing $250, $500 and $1000 respectively.

For the sound quality in its price range, its the best sounding player, period. It sounds better than an ipod.(apart of maybe classic which goes very close, almost head to head).
Also, it gives quite good loud sound unamped, even with big headphones, which is extremaly rare with most small players.

I am a big fan of sansa clip and if you browse the internet, you will see that I am not isolated in this viewpoint.
Check ebay and amazon for some bargains.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back