Recommendations for a PC-centric DAC & Headphone Amp
Jan 16, 2014 at 10:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

saedrin

New Head-Fier
Greetings all,

I've been using a set of JVC HA-RX900's paired with an Onkyo TX-SR606 receiving audio from my PC's onboard SPDIF/TOSLINK output. I just recently picked up a pair of AT ATH-A900X's to replace my headphones and I'd like to remove the Onkyo receiver from the equation as well.

I'm looking for a DAC to take the SPDIF/TOSLINK from my PC, split the output between both a discrete set of mediocre self-amped speakers (for the rare occasions I use speakers with my PC) and a dedicated headphone amp which will be my primary usage.

Thoughts?

I'd like to spend under $300-400 for the DAC and headphone amp combined.

Thanks!

Jan 16, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #2 of 3
Get a headphone amp with pre out and connect some decent active speakers to that perhaps

Jan 16, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #3 of 3
You can use a home theater receiver for - but the HT receiver needs to have stereo preamp output. There are DAC/Amps that will take a s/pdif input and have RCA outputs.

Another way to do it is to use the lineout/headphone jack on your soundcard for the speakers, and the s/pdif out to a headphone DAC/Amp. Then, when you want to use your speakers, you would need to switch the output using your soundcard SW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back