Recommendations for a newbie?
Mar 2, 2002 at 1:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

matt fury

100+ Head-Fier
Hi..
Okay, well, let me introduce myself, since this is my first post. My name is Matt, I'm 18, I'm from Las Vegas, I'm "into" computers and music. Hi.

In any case, due to recent changes in living conditions, it looks like I'm gonna need a pair of headphones. I've been reading review over review over review, and nothing comes out as a clear winner to me. I'd very much like to audition the cans before I buy them, but I don't really wanna go into a store and do it, because their prices will probably be more than online (correct?), and I feel weird about shopping and not buying, so your reviews are pretty much all I have to go on. My tastes aren't THAT discriminating, yet, so I'm not remarkably worried about it. I listen to a wide variety of music ranging from rock-n-roll, disco, and classical, and will probably use the cans for computer-game audio also. I like things sounding good. My main source will be my Soundblaster Audigy sound card in my computer, and other sources include my laptop, PDA, and MD player. I am willing to get an amp. As a matter of fact, the reason why I came here in the first place was to hunt down some Altoids amps... I value comfort VERY high on my scale of important things, as I often end up wearing headphones for a long amount of time, and I have a fairly large head. Heh. I also don't mind headphones that make me look like an idiot, if they have to. In any case, what can you recommend to me in the up-to-$150US-including-shipping arena? I'm starting to think that a cheaper pair of cans + a JMT amp might be a better choice than just a pair of $150 'phones. And I'm willing to go to eBay for a vintage pair, if that's what's necessary. What does everybody think? I appreciate all opinions, reviews, and links. Thanks in advance!

---
matt fury

Mar 2, 2002 at 1:22 AM Post #2 of 31
My recommendations would be either the Philips HP890 or Beyer DT250 (either 80 or 250ohm version).

I'd give the gold star of comfort to the Philips though, they're basically great big pillows that sound great.

Mar 2, 2002 at 1:35 AM Post #3 of 31
I was seriously considering those Phillips, but they seem to be shrouded in a great deal of controversey. Some people say they are excellent, others say they're a joke? Would their quality be much less questionable when coupled with an amp? Also, are there any places to order them from in America?

---
matt fury

Mar 2, 2002 at 1:41 AM Post #4 of 31
The only way to find out if you like them is to give them a listen, just make sure you either burn them in or get an already burnt in pair to try.
Controversy is GOOD
wink.gif

I honestly think they're a great entry level headphone, and comfort is scarily good.

Mar 2, 2002 at 1:52 AM Post #6 of 31
people, there is NO controversy over the HP890. So what if someone didn't like them? Big deal! I'd say there's tons more agreement about the HP890 than the average headphone. If something is controversial because some people like it and others don't, show me one piece of audio equipment that isn't "shrouded in a great deal of controversy." gimme a break!

Mar 2, 2002 at 2:38 AM Post #9 of 31
You may want to consider the Etymotic ER-6, especially if your new "living conditions" are at all noisy. They'll transform your life. They don't need an amp, but of course they'll sound better with one.

Mar 2, 2002 at 2:51 AM Post #10 of 31
Can't help you with where to buy, sorry matt, check my location
wink.gif

In terms of "bad things" about the HP890s - they do not compare in build quality to my Beyers, but that's not to say they're flimsy, I just don't see them lasting me 20 years.
Same could be said for the Sennheiser 580s, they're made to last, the Philips aren't quite up there, which is probably why they cost a fair bit less.
Just for comparison, the HP890s can be found for around $60 or even $55US in Australia, whereas the average price of a pair of HD580s is around $250US.

Mar 2, 2002 at 3:52 AM Post #11 of 31
Hey matt, you can also check ebay for the sennheiser hd580's, there's a online store, hififorless, that sells em for $150 new, if your interested.

Mar 2, 2002 at 4:04 AM Post #12 of 31
I am extremely surprised why nobody hasn't mentioned buying the hp890 or senn hd580 from www.meier-audio.com
He is the only person i think online that will ship hp890's to the US(i could be wrong though)

Jan Meier runs it (along with some more real nice people). He also posts on this forum.

If i was you, i would probably go with the beyer dt 250-80 though.

Good luck!

Mar 2, 2002 at 5:59 AM Post #13 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by Neruda
people, there is NO controversy over the HP890. So what if someone didn't like them? Big deal! I'd say there's tons more agreement about the HP890 than the average headphone. If something is controversial because some people like it and others don't, show me one piece of audio equipment that isn't "shrouded in a great deal of controversy." gimme a break!

You are correct. Actually, of all the people who purchased the HP890 and frequent this forum, only Tuberoller did not find them enjoyable. I think he has multiple copies of the HP890 and the HP910. I am sure that he would be more than happy to sell them and recover 50% of his costs for those interested
biggrin.gif

Mar 2, 2002 at 8:34 PM Post #14 of 31
Hi Matt!

Quote:

Originally posted by matt fury
In any case, due to recent changes in living conditions, it looks like I'm gonna need a pair of headphones. I've been reading review over review over review, and nothing comes out as a clear winner to me.

That's right, there's no winner. All you can get are recommendations for headphones to check out, but in the end it's all a matter of personal taste.

Quote:

I'd very much like to audition the cans before I buy them, but I don't really wanna go into a store and do it, because their prices will probably be more than online (correct?), and I feel weird about shopping and not buying, so your reviews are pretty much all I have to go on.

Do audit headphones at stores. You are in no way obliged to buy something, and the more headphones you know, the better you can evaluate what you're looking for. And if you find a pair that you really like, I'd still rather buy that one in the store than order one online that someone else likes. It's not that unlikely you'd be dissapointed by headphones that everyone else raves about, at least that's what I experienced.

Quote:

My tastes aren't THAT discriminating, yet, so I'm not remarkably worried about it. I listen to a wide variety of music ranging from rock-n-roll, disco, and classical, and will probably use the cans for computer-game audio also. I like things sounding good. My main source will be my Soundblaster Audigy sound card in my computer, and other sources include my laptop, PDA, and MD player. I am willing to get an amp. As a matter of fact, the reason why I came here in the first place was to hunt down some Altoids amps...

Be aware that to really profit from a headphone amp you need an unamplified source (line out). All you can really expect in combination with your sound card and laptop is improved volume, since the built in amp of these devices is the weak link.

With underpowered devices like a MD player or PDA an amp can at least compensate for the inadequate low frequency capabilities, even when connected to the headphone jack.

Quote:

I value comfort VERY high on my scale of important things, as I often end up wearing headphones for a long amount of time, and I have a fairly large head. Heh. I also don't mind headphones that make me look like an idiot, if they have to. In any case, what can you recommend to me in the up-to-$150US-including-shipping arena? I'm starting to think that a cheaper pair of cans + a JMT amp might be a better choice than just a pair of $150 'phones.

OK, you want comfortable headphones, and it looks like portability is a consideration as well, for use with the laptop, MD player and PDA.

From my point of view I'd rule out Grados (not the most comfortable) and other full sized, not foldable heaphones because of poor portability.

From the headphones I own(ed) I'd recommend the Sony MDR-7506 and Sony MDR-D66 Eggo.

The 7506s are professional monitor headphones designed for uncolored and revealing sound. Their range goes from deepest, but clean bass to highest treble, and they sound very dynamic and impactful. In comparison to these, other headphones sound comparatively veiled and dull to me. The build quality is very solid and they're foldable for portability. I must admit that first I hated these phones when they arrived, being used to the soft and pleasant sound of Sennheisers. But meanwhile they've grown on me and the Sennheisers collect dust
wink.gif

The Eggos are more comfortable, portable and lightwight, but do not offer the frequency range of the 7506s. People who find the 7506s too bright might consider these.

The problem of course with both of these is that you'll hardly find a store that sells them, especially with the Eggos that are only distributed in Japan
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back