Recommendations for a newb
Mar 5, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #31 of 57
Ok. Let us know. I've bought the HFI-550s I've told you about. They should arrive in two weeks.

Good hunt!

Mar 5, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #33 of 57
Thought the denons were closed but not sealed?

Also, I heard something about the beyer pads on a q40? Any info on how this usually works out? I might have been unimpressed by the beyers when I tested them, but I did love the pads.
dt880smile.png

Mar 5, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #34 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by KONAKONA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thought the denons were closed but not sealed?

Huh?

They don't leak much at all (maybe a little, depending on how you position the cups), but block much sound out (though they're OK in an office setting, etc. Just not on the road). They're dark like many closed cans are, but have wider soundstage than most closed cans. How's that?

Mar 5, 2009 at 4:43 AM Post #35 of 57
So now its Q40 vr. 450 vr. D1001

You people keep making things more complicated.
smily_headphones1.gif
What about putting those beyer pads on the denon?

On a side note, I started listening to some daft punk, Its pretty good IMO.

Mar 5, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #36 of 57
I'm not into modding stuff, so I wouldn't know about the beyer pads. I'd go for the D1001 over the Q40 cos they're cheaper and recommendations have lasted longer than Q40, which implies that Q40s were FoTM cans.

Mar 5, 2009 at 5:10 AM Post #37 of 57
A bit of lurking reveals that the d1001s are very good after modding, dynamat and recabling and what not, they also need a nice burn in apparently.

FoTM? I'm guessing its something of the moment? Fan maybe?

Mar 5, 2009 at 12:06 PM Post #38 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Huh?

They don't leak much at all (maybe a little, depending on how you position the cups), but block much sound out (though they're OK in an office setting, etc. Just not on the road). They're dark like many closed cans are, but have wider soundstage than most closed cans. How's that?

they leak like a sieve compared to other closed cans, like all Denon's, like I said, closed but not sealed

as far as the soundstage, imho they aren't anything special (fairly average boxed-in presentation of closed cans)

Mar 11, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #39 of 57
Thread bump, might have an opportunity to buy a set soon. Basically settled on the Q40s but the prices have gone back up on ebay, and the equation RP-21/22x might be a viable alternative.

Any ideas?

(Oh, and while I am here, how hard would it be to put a set of DT770 velor pads on any of these?)

Mar 11, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #41 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DT770 pads on what?

I can't comment one lick on the Equation's, but the M-Audio Q40's are an amazing buy (should be $130~ on amazon most any day of the week) for closed, mid-range hp's with good all-rounder qualities

DT770 pads on any of them; the Q40 or either of the equations.

Wanna get someone who knows about the equations before I spring for the q40s....

Mar 11, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #42 of 57
the equation's seem somewhat rare around here, and I would urge you to audition things yourself, other than relying solely on opinions of others

as far as putting the DT770 pads on them, any particular reason? (I believe it should be possible with what I remember of the Q40's, but I could be mistaken (never stripped them all the way apart, so theres always the "oddball" factor there))

Mar 12, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #43 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the equation's seem somewhat rare around here, and I would urge you to audition things yourself, other than relying solely on opinions of others

as far as putting the DT770 pads on them, any particular reason? (I believe it should be possible with what I remember of the Q40's, but I could be mistaken (never stripped them all the way apart, so theres always the "oddball" factor there))

I went out to audition some HPs at guitar center a few weeks ago, they didn't have the Q40 and I don't think they had any equations either. I did like the DT770 pads a good bit though, so unless the pads on the Q40 are really, really nice then I'd like to get the DT pads and pop em on.
beyersmile.png

Mar 12, 2009 at 12:16 AM Post #45 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by KONAKONA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I tried out the HD 280s and the 770/80s at GC,

I gotta say, there wasn't much difference at all between those and my portapros. the 280s blocked out more of the background noise than the 770s, but they both lacked bass. If I cranked the bass effects on my DMP they would bottom out about the same as my portapros. The 770s had a tid more bass than the 280s, but other than that they sounded about the same.

I'm guessing there must have been either a problem with my iaudio 7, or with my ears because of the results I had, but that's what I heard.

I'll probably end up buying a set of cans like those, but because of this it'll probably happen further out. Gotta buy sum parts for my computer and car first.

I felt like that when I first tried my HD650s unamped from my Zune. I reasoned that without an amp they're just not that great. After a while, though, I started to realize that they were in every way better than my PortaPros. I tried listening to my PortaPros again and they just don't cut it for me anymore. I can't wait to get my amp.
dt880smile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back