Recommendations for a New High Quality Portable player?
Jan 4, 2012 at 12:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Supra Man

Head-Fier
I'd like to reach the full potential of my Sennheiser HD595's:

I currently use my Samsung Galaxy S (Epic 4G SPH-D700, or the older one with the slide out keyboard) rooted and flashed with a kernel with Project Vodoo.
I'd like to upgrade from this, and have a higher-end player, or perhaps an option for improving sound from a laptop...
I had a Cowon O2 for awhile, but as a fate had it, the shortest drop I could have EVER managed sent it onto the smallest rock (really, an oversized piece of sand) just big enough to poke, and crack the beautiful beautiful screen.

I have another thread asking suggestions for an Amp. if you have advice, please, tell me through PM, or through that thread! 

Any reading or guides to find information on how to find and identify or just any general knowledge on high end audio is also MUCH appreciated. I'd like to learn as much as possible!
My goal is ultimate audio bliss, every time I wish to listen to music.

Jan 4, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #2 of 10
The Sony Z series PMP has great soundquality and extra features include big touchscreen. Other DAPs like Sony X1060, S:Flo2, HSA V, X7, HM_602 and upcoming iBasso DX100 are recommended. The highend portable AMPs like XM6, ALO Continental, Meier Audio Stepdance, RSA Mustang P51, Pico Slim and midfi AMPs like Fiio E11, iBasso T5, E17 are recommended.

Jan 4, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #3 of 10

Quote:
The Sony Z series PMP has great soundquality and extra features include big touchscreen. Other DAPs like Sony X1060, S:Flo2, HSA V, X7, HM_602 and upcoming iBasso DX100 are recommended. The highend portable AMPs like XM6, ALO Continental, Meier Audio Stepdance, RSA Mustang P51, Pico Slim and midfi AMPs like Fiio E11, iBasso T5, E17 are recommended.
 ​

EDIT: FOUND ALL BUT THE HSA V ON THIS SITE'S SEARCH FUNCTION. 
I should have thought about that earlier.... 

with the sony products, I'm seeing things like the "NWZ-X1060" and lots of NWZ-ect products. would this be what you meant when refering to the Z series and X1060? Is the end letter Z just designating higher quality of the walkman lineup? And why not just call it walkman if that's the case? lol

Also, when browsing amazon, all I can seem to find are accessories... 
Where's a good place to shop for things like this? I'd thought amazon had basically everything.

For everything up to the (What I figured out was Cowon) X7, I got random things like mufflers, water pumps, and photography lighting lol. Forgive my ignorance, but I have very little experience or knowledge in the audiophile kingdom. I came to this forum seeking to fix that problem. Cowon,Grado, and Sennheiser and pretty much all I know. I Thirst for more knowledge. I know very little of Cans and players, and nothing of amps :frowning2:

I really hope I can figure out all the science and terminology I see all you folks going on about. I Feel like a bit of an idiot at the moment...

Jan 4, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #5 of 10
EDIT:
I Think I have decided on what to do...
I am going to purchase the FiiO E11, and a Cowon X7 as soon as funds allow, based on some very positive reviews I've seen of the FiiO here and elsewhere, and my previous love and known quality and value of Cowon. 

Final opinions? 
And thank you VERY much for the suggestions!

Jan 7, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #6 of 10
The Colorfly? Expensive as heck but if you want ultimate audio bliss, then its the best there is.

http://www.colorfly.eu/

Jan 9, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #9 of 10

Quote:
Isn't the HM-801 still the best portable player money can buy?

I believe that would be a matter of opinion, wouldn't it?

Jan 10, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #10 of 10
I believe that would be a matter of opinion, wouldn't it?

That goes without saying. But unless you have the opportunity to hear every DAP before buying, the most popular opinion is usually the winner.

And from all the opinions I've read on this site and well as professional reviews on other websites, the HM801 is the top dog, which is something the OP is looking for. You may find one or two guys on head-fi who thinks HM801 is crap, and that's cool because everybody's entitled to their opinions, but that's the minority.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back