Recommendations for a Modest Mouse fan?
Jan 30, 2012 at 3:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

CC Lemon

100+ Head-Fier
I've been on this search for a while now, but it has mostly depended on the "If you like this, then you might also like..." features on music sites/applications. So far, nothing has really stood out for me. My main/go-to music style is Metal, so I'm lacking in genres like indie rock. I'm hoping that actual recommendations from people will be a bit more helpful/successful.

My favorite album of their's is, without a doubt, The Moon and Antarctica. That would have to be followed by Good News for People Who Love Bad News and We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank, though not necessarily in that order. I do like a lot of their older stuff, but it tends to be a few select songs instead of the majority of the album . A lot of the lyrics seem to resonate with me and I love their lyrical themes in general. Generally speaking, I'm actually an optimist but I seem to really enjoy the more melancholic/depressive/cynical themes in the music I listen to. I even like some of their more hopeful songs, though I've always felt a bit of cynicism towards life in those songs as well. Obviously, their style tends to stand out a bit as well. I like the variability in their songs. It doesn't feel like they're stuck to 1 sylistic idea, yet their style still shows in each song. I don't know that I'm really looking for something with their same style (it might just feel like a copycat), but I think I'd be able to appreciate something that is similarly unique in style.

So, can anyone point me in a direction based on that information? I can provide more information like a list of specific tracks if that would be more useful. I am starting to consider that maybe there's just something about Modest Mouse that really appeals to me and maybe I wont find anything that fills a similar spot, but I'm definitely interested in possibly broadening my music selection.

Any ideas are appreciated!

(And yes, I have listened to Ugly Casanova. I'm a bit mixed on them).

Jan 30, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #2 of 6
Have you listened to Wolf Parade? Modest Mouse's lead singer Isaac Brock produced their first album 'Apologies to the Queen Mary'.

Jan 31, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #6 of 6
Thanks for the ideas! I'll have to listen to them a few times over the next few days. (It takes a little time for me to really enjoy a song/album.. I've even gone from disliking to really loving something with just a little more listening time).

Initial impressions:
-Wolf Parade definitely has a good feel to it. The song you posted does grab me more than some of the others I sampled, but I'm still liking it. I'll definitely give a listen to those over the next couple days.

-Okkervil River: The posted song is pretty catchy. Beyond that, I'm not sure how much I'm feeling them. I'll give them a try a couple more times.

-The Dear Hunter: They feel a bit to mainstream/generic rock for some reason. The song posted and that album kind of remind me of another band more than modest mouse, but I can't remember who I'm thinking of. The other band is more of a rock band than anything. That said, I listened to some songs from another album (act II) and that's appealing to me more, so I'll probably give them a chance too. I have yet to check out much from act I, but I'll check out as well.

I definitely appreciate the suggestions so far! A couple other bands have piqued my interest in the related videos from these suggestions as well. Other suggestions are still appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back