Recommendations for a line source/ribbon speaker fan.
Apr 28, 2015 at 2:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

soundandvision

New Head-Fier
My favorite speakers have always been line source/ribbons.
I have had many over the years with the Apogee Diva's and my current Wisdoms being the standouts.
For some insight into what I after I'll describe what I like about my current speakers.

Effortless dynamics, with weight and authority of live music.
Incredible detail that is always silky smooth, never harsh
A sound stage that is always correct in size and never exaggerated. Concert halls are massive and extend beyond the room while an intimate jazz club puts you in the front seat.
You can certainly appreciate audiophile level recordings but find that music that is unlistenable on other high resolution systems is enjoyable with aspects and details revealed that you never noticed.

I enjoy juat about all types of music.
A recent playlist-Infected Mushroom, Erik Satie, Budddy Holley, Thin Lizzy, Ben Harper, Black Sabbath-early, Talk Talk, Slipnot, Billie Holiday, Bestie Boys, Stevie Wonder, Brian Eno, Neil Young-early, Amie Mann, Pink Floyd-real, Buckethead... No recent pop, modern country, thug rap or music only enjoyable on molly.

As you can tell I love my Wisdom system. For me it does everything right.
I know planar sounds like the natural fit. It's been a very long time but the Staxx that I had-no idea what model-had some of the elements but lacked dynamics and punch.

I have no budget limitations but am after value.
Use will be primarily for sitting at a desk coding as well as bedtime.
I have a number of different amps and dacs.

Apologies in advance for my spelling and grammar. have among other things dyslexia.

I look forward to your recommendations.

Apr 28, 2015 at 2:53 AM Post #2 of 4
What DAC/amps do you have available?

For me, the best value I've found is in the $300 range. Electrostats usually give you the smoothness and dynamics due to a thin, light driver. Anyways, I think the HD600 would be a perfect fit for you. Neutral, natural sounding stage, smooth, great tonal ability, and a slight punch to the bass. Great price, and pretty non-picky on source gear to drive it.

Sorry about the dyslexia, I was fortunate enough to escape it unlike the rest of my family.

Apr 29, 2015 at 1:18 AM Post #3 of 4
What DAC/amps do you have available?

For me, the best value I've found is in the $300 range. Electrostats usually give you the smoothness and dynamics due to a thin, light driver. Anyways, I think the HD600 would be a perfect fit for you. Neutral, natural sounding stage, smooth, great tonal ability, and a slight punch to the bass. Great price, and pretty non-picky on source gear to drive it.

Sorry about the dyslexia, I was fortunate enough to escape it unlike the rest of my family.

Thank you for the reply.
For playback I have a couple options.
I'd say my best sounding combo is /miniserver/bubble/Aurlic Aries/M2Tech Young/Burson Soloist
I also really like the sound from my old Meridian 808.
Still I'd be open to suggestions of a different front end.

I have a couple older Sennheiser's the models escape me 580?
I would like to try and find a closed back. I listen while in bed and the open back disturb my wife.
I would be willing to spend considerably more for better performance.

Apr 29, 2015 at 2:27 AM Post #4 of 4
Dang, that's nice gear!

The HD600 is basically the HD580. For closed cans, the Alpha Dogs from Mr. Speakers and ZMF Vibro could work. I don't know much about the Sony Z7 but that might be worth looking into.
Audeze XC is wayyy expensive, and not enough reviews are out on the EL8C for me to be able to say much. Fostex TH-600/900 are quite v-shaped in sound, though some still call them versatile. Beyerdynamic has a few options, I'm not sure where they fall either.

Those are all the closed cans of a higher tier I can think of tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back