Recommendations for a Kit With Detailed Instructions
Feb 15, 2009 at 11:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Bleuburd

100+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

I'm thinking of trying out my first diy project. But, I want to try and avoid a cmoy and do something that I can use as dedicated amp after my ibasso D2. I'm basically just looking for something with really good instructions, or something that can sort of teach me as I go. I'm going to make a few interconnects to get my soldering skills up to par so I think that should be fine. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
~Bleuburd

Feb 16, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #4 of 19
a pimeta is not too hard (if you use all thru-hole chips). its a nice first project and its way more than a 'cmoy'
wink.gif

Feb 16, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #5 of 19
I was checking out the pimeta, but I know nothing about the values (capacitance, resistance, etc) of the parts. I guess my lack of knowledge just makes me think that I won't be able to understand how the amp should be assembled.

Feb 16, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #8 of 19
There are wonderful current projects that fit your bill, IMO.

The gamma-1 DAC and amps from amb labs are very well documented:

AMB Laboratories DIY Audio Site

Glass jar has a good selection:

Glass Jar Audio : Home

tomb has a great assortment with more to come (supported with his store, which is really a service to the community at beezar.com):

DIYForums.org

And if you want a full kit, I just adore my Single-Ended Experimenter's headphone amp:

Single Ended eXperimenter's Kit

We sure are lucky to have this wealth of well-documented, community-supported projects.

__Roy

Feb 16, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #10 of 19
I just finished constructing the hohodiy AMB mini3 and Grado RA1 clone kit. Complete part, quiet easy assembly if you take your time.

They also have a blog with very good construction photos and instructions (which, unfortunately, are in Chinese). AMB mini3隨身耳擴è£æ©Ÿå*±å‘Šç¬¬1篇 - 主æ¿è£½ä½œ1 - Neo's Blog

Linuxworks, do you think a Gamma1 would be within my reach? I've just finished the mini3, did a couple of CMOYs before and finished a Grado RA1 clone kit from hohodiy.

Feb 16, 2009 at 2:12 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleuburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm pretty sure, I'm go with the pimeta and stick it in a hammond case. I think I should be able to make it work.

Pimeta 2 is currently in development. Not sure how close it is to completion, might want to wait a bit.

HeadWize: DIY Workshop > PIMETA v2

Feb 16, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #14 of 19
Bleuburd, no offense but I think you gotta put in a little bit of work as well. No kit can give you every step by step instruction including how to read resistors/capacitors etc.. (unless you order a beginner kit from greymark/chaney electronics , but they're usually not audio related). I'm 100% shure that all of us are more than willing to help you, but I think you've got to do a bit of work on your own first, especially on how to read the values of electronic components, how to test if they work, and setting up a good work area for yourself (decent soldering iron/pencil, tweezer,s helping hands, loupe's magnifying glasses etc...). After you get through with that, the partial Starving student kit should be done and you'd be able to jump on board.

Feb 16, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleuburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was checking out the pimeta, but I know nothing about the values (capacitance, resistance, etc) of the parts. I guess my lack of knowledge just makes me think that I won't be able to understand how the amp should be assembled.

If you don't know and have no interest to learn basics like how to read the values of a part, please do yourself a favor and stay away from DIY amps. Otherwise when something goes wrong you'll have no idea what to do. I'll recommend the pimeta, Tangent's site is a terrific starting place for learning how to build a DIY amp and he has a detailed step by step guide to assembling the pimeta. Please read through all the stuff in his project FAQ and you'll learn a lot about how to assemble the amp. And as a beginner please do not get a kit; the parts selection process teaches you a lot about the components for the amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back