Recommendations for a iPod Video 80GB Case
Jul 1, 2008 at 12:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Meloncoly

500+ Head-Fier
Any cases you would recommend for a 60/80GB iPod Video? I need entire coverage of the iPod (screen + scroll wheel), or some case that offers something to protect it, easy access to the LOD port for a LOD cable, and nothing silicone. Anything come to mind?

Jul 1, 2008 at 12:46 PM Post #2 of 19
I highly recomend the belkin acrylic brushed metal case
Belkin Acrylic Case with Brushed Metal for Video iPod
acrylicvideo_slv_pic.jpg

here it is in action
IMG_1296.jpg

Jul 1, 2008 at 12:48 PM Post #3 of 19
Does it have protection for the scroll wheel? Like a plastic skin or something that can be placed there?

Edit: Never mind, I read like I was supposed to.

Anymore recommendations?

Jul 2, 2008 at 1:41 AM Post #7 of 19
Invisible Shield or something like that.

Jul 2, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #10 of 19
I like this VibeVault case. I just got an iMod 5.5 80 GB. Would it fit in their "VibeVaults for 80GB 5th Gen iPod" enclosure? Thanks.

Jul 3, 2008 at 1:53 AM Post #11 of 19
The VibeVault looks cool to me, too. But I remember some complaints that a harder case around an ipod (without some interior padding) does zero to reduce damage from drop. Physics or something. It was some other heavy duty aluminum case that someone was writing about, not this one, though. But I was also interested in this case after reading about it in this thread and went to investigate it, and didn't see any reference to interior padding in their web description. In other words, they apparently look bullet proof - and might well stop a bullet - but if you drop your ipod they offer no shock protection - scratch protection, yes.

Jul 3, 2008 at 2:23 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by tpc41 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I highly recomend the belkin acrylic brushed metal case
Belkin Acrylic Case with Brushed Metal for Video iPod
acrylicvideo_slv_pic.jpg

here it is in action
IMG_1296.jpg

x2 on this Belkin case. Just search amazon, they have many different faceplate color options. The screen and scrollwheel are covered with it and it has easy access to the LOD jack. The only 3 openings are headphone jack, hold switch, and LOD jack. It's completely sealed.

The LOD opening is big enough to accomodate any LOD out there which is super nice. If you ever decide to use the Ipod right out of the headphone jack, just know the opening is small and will only accomodate straight skinny 3.5mm jacks jacks. It will not accomodate any L shaped 3.5 mm ends.

I've been using the case for over a year and it has taken quite a beating but my Ipod has been pretty safe. The negatives are: Dust does get inside pretty easily though because of the large LOD opening. If you drop your ipod pretty roughly, the faceplate can sometimes pop open. This is a nonconcern though as most people usually don't drop their stuff on a regular basis and if you are using an external amp, you will most likely use a velcro strap to hold your portable rig together.

Jul 3, 2008 at 3:09 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by RAQemUP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2 on this Belkin case. Just search amazon, they have many different faceplate color options. The screen and scrollwheel are covered with it and it has easy access to the LOD jack. The only 3 openings are headphone jack, hold switch, and LOD jack. It's completely sealed.

The LOD opening is big enough to accomodate any LOD out there which is super nice. If you ever decide to use the Ipod right out of the headphone jack, just know the opening is small and will only accomodate straight skinny 3.5mm jacks jacks. It will not accomodate any L shaped 3.5 mm ends.

I've been using the case for over a year and it has taken quite a beating but my Ipod has been pretty safe. The negatives are: Dust does get inside pretty easily though because of the large LOD opening. If you drop your ipod pretty roughly, the faceplate can sometimes pop open. This is a nonconcern though as most people usually don't drop their stuff on a regular basis and if you are using an external amp, you will most likely use a velcro strap to hold your portable rig together.

I can, without reservation, highly recommend iPod Armor by Matias. (though the case above certainly looks interesting...) As my signature indicates, I have an iPod Armor Case for every iPod that I have ever owned. I have never been disappointed. On rare occasions, when I remove even my oldest iPod from its iPod Armor it really looks as good as new. I'm about to pull the trigger on a 160GB (I need the space and I'm tired of waiting for a 160 GB iPod Touch...). I have am planning to get the Matias product for that one as well. However, certainly with cases, you never know what they'll come out with tomorrow!
biggrin.gif

Jul 3, 2008 at 3:49 PM Post #15 of 19
I was attracted to this VibeVault not so much for the protection (I used my mp3 player mostly at work) but for the industrial look of the case. I sent an email to this site but never got an answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back