Recommendations for a first turntable?
Nov 3, 2012 at 12:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

micrors4

100+ Head-Fier
I recently got a couple of vinyls and wanted to get a turntable to listen to them on with my headphones and maybe purchase a set of loud speakers sometime in the future.  There is one requirement for it and that is it has to be cheap as I am a poor college student so the cheaper the better, I'm not after great quality but want something decent to enjoy my records on.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Nov 3, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #2 of 5
Try your local craigslist and check this out http://www.head-fi.org/t/228059/low-budget-vinyl-source; look around pawn shops, thrift stores, swap meets/flea markets

Nov 3, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #3 of 5
I just found an old Sony turntable that used to belong to my dad, unfortunantely the needle is broken, any suggestions on where I could find a needle for it?  I'm not sure of the exact model but hopefully I will have a chance to check it out more as I am away from home for a while.

Nov 8, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #4 of 5
Check out the website needledoctor.com. You should be able to find some helpful information there.

Cheers.

Nov 8, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #5 of 5
My general recommendation lately has been the new Pro-Ject Carbon. Great cart, great table, upgrade path, and paired with a decent little Cambridge stage you've got a killer starter rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back